Range of underlying disorders?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re : Range of underlying disorders?

Postby alexp » Fri Jan 06, 2006 03:29 am

Yes, my hives were definitely autoimmune too. It was a problem when I first started having them - to the degree that I had them when pregnant/postpartum- because when you look at a person covered in welts, you think, allergic reaction - bad allergic reaction!

They popped up just as Eliz described - when I would take a hot shower or get under a warm blanket, etc.

I too went through the whole battery of allergy testing. But, the hives were - and I guess still are, although i haven't had them in a while (knock wood) caused by the autoimmune thing (in my case undifferentiated connective tissue disease).
alexp

Postby deerhart » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:29 am

Lizzybeth, the AI Lupus and Lupus anticoagulant are actually 2 different things, but its called Lupus anticoagulant because it also occurs in about 50-60% of people who have Lupus. The difference being the antibodies causing blood clotting issues and not the other problems.

Eliz, I have very severe allergies but suprisngly am not allergic to posion ivy or posion oak. Comes in extremely nicely when your out camping and everyone else gets Poison Ivy and you don't LOL (my mother isn't allergic to it either). From what I understand Autoimmune issues can mess with your IgE counts (which in turn are what cause allergic reactions and hives). I would just make sure they didn't occur after a change in medication or something that they didn't/can't test for.
deerhart

Postby mercadmj » Fri May 22, 2009 11:49 am

Hi everyone,

I didn't have hives but I had severe itching in my legs and feet one month prior to delivery. The doctor told me it was fungus yet when I went to the er I now see there was anticoagulation therapy recommended. What a crappy doctor he was. I've had hellp/preeclampsia in the past and I knew something was wrong cause of the itching. It lasted 6 weeks till I couldn't take it anymore and went into er again. Nurses said I'd be delivered for sure and doc came in angry nxt morning only to send me home. The itching lingered for about 2 weeks after delivery. I believe it was my liver telling my body something is wrong. I ordered myself on bedrest cause I knew I was in danger, but he kept telling me everything was ok. I didn't listen to him. I've compiled all my lab reports and plan on finding a good doctor to help me find out what is wrong (underlying). I'm feeling ill these days. It's been miserable because everyone thinks of me as a hypochondriac, it's all in my head etc. etc. It's so frustrating!! It's like you being all alone and suffering.
mercadmj

Postby kara » Fri May 22, 2009 02:03 pm

Were you swelling during the time you were itchy? Swelling will sometimes cause that itching - feet and legs are often the first things to swell, too. If it had been your liver you probably would have been itching in other places, too. I'm not a doctor but my dad had end-stage liver disease and would scratch himself bloody whereever he could reach some days.

I'm glad you've compiled your labs and records. You can find an MFM in your area by going to the physician locatore here: www.SMFM.org I found my post preeclampsia visits to be very enlightening.

Also know that it takes a long time for the body to recover from PE - sometimes weeks or months, sometimes longer. If your delivery has been recently, your body may just need time to heal itself before you get back to feeling like yourself. Let us know how your appointment goes once you have it.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby jfindley » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:38 pm

There is a rare adrenal tumor called a pheochromacytoma that causes uncontrollable high bp. Other symptoms of this tumor can be increased heart rate, anxiety/panic attacks and headaches. It can be aggravated by pregnancy. This tumor caused me to develop HELLP at 24weeks and deliver at 26. I don't think most doctors test for or have dealt with this condition, but you can ask them to test your blood metanephrines or catecholamine levels. I have heard that if diagnosed and treated properly during pregnancy, women with this tumor can have successful pregnancies.
jfindley

Re: Range of underlying disorders?

Postby achillies000 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 05:45 am

Did anyone have autoimmune hives throughout their pregnancy? Starting at the end of the first trimester, I would get rashes of hives whenever I was particularly warm (in the shower, I'd always get them on my ankles, if I sat and watched TV under a blanket, I'd get them on my thighs and legs).
achillies000

Previous

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders