HELLP stages

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
pkandm

Re : HELLP stages

Postby pkandm » Sat Dec 11, 637677 11:11 am

Yes-thank you so much! That really helps!!!

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Fri Dec 10, 637677 3:33 pm

Thanks for the lab tests link!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Nov 29, 637677 11:20 pm

You can find out more about the MCHC at www.labtestsonline.org

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Mon Nov 29, 637677 2:40 pm

So, I meant to post:

MCHC is mean corpuscle hemoglobin concentration. This means the sizes of your red blood cells vary. This from what I understand occurs in anemia and might be related to elevated LDH (indicating hemolysis). I would definately get checked to rule out early HELLP.

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Mon Nov 29, 637677 2:35 pm

quote:Originally posted by pkandm

Okay, so can you help me.....this is what I have-- my numbers were just slightly high or slightly low MCHC-high (not sure what this is) bicarbonate-low (not sure what this is) and my 24hour urine was 9462-which is very high...right? Platelets were just a little low as well but decreasing from the time I was addmitted.
I am getting an appointment w/my OB to sort all of this out but would kind of like a little understanding before I go in.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu May 30, 637675 12:55 am

...and Caryn is moving slow this weekend and just checked her email. Oh heck, it's Monday already, isn't it? And unfortunately I have no idea what MCHC is -- bicarbonate is a measure of blood acidity if I recall correctly, though, and is just another measure of how the kidneys and liver are holding up.

HELLP pretty much means you got really sick, but since you didn't die, you're probably all better now. Isn't that an awful way to put it? It's pretty much the same thing as "multiple organ failure" -- your kidneys start to fail, your liver starts to fail, your blood clotting mechanisms start to fail... and once they get the placenta out of there, it reverses.

There is some ongoing research into whether or not there are lasting health consequences from HELLP, but the thinking at the moment seems to be that while your recovery may take a while (for bp to drop, for muscles to rebuild, for liver to regenerate), any lasting health effects that we notice are from the underlying predisposition that caused the HELLP in the first place.

Our Experts say HELLP has about a 5% recurrence rate, but that women with a past history of HELLP are at higher risk of developing PE; here's a link:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331

I absolutely agree with Heather's suggestion that you ask for testing -- a lot of our posters have found that they have a genetic clotting disorder that needs to be monitored/ treated just for their general health, apart from any concern about subsequent pregnancy. And our Experts all agree that women with a history of PE or HELLP need a high-risk doc to keep an eye on them during second pregnancies.

Welcome to the forums!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun May 19, 637675 8:42 pm

Oh, I'm so so glad!!! You had me very very concerned for you! I emailed Caryn to see if she could help more than I did! Glad to hear it's all over and done with, but I completely understand the need to get some answers. When you meet with your doctor, ask for a panel to test for underlying conditions if you haven't already done so. I'm glad Mitchell is doing well; Nicolas turned 2 in June and is also great! Good luck with getting some resolution!

pkandm

Postby pkandm » Sun May 19, 637675 8:18 pm

Oh jeeze--I'm sorry.I'm sure you're thinking-what the heck is wrong w/this lady....I just got my results from when I WAS pregnant--
They did treat it agressively-BIRTH :) Mitchell was born at 36 1/2 weeks--he was 7#1 and had no complications due to the HELLP. However, he had many complications because of having a syndrome that we were unawhere of. Anyway-the reason I'm asking all of these questions-because of his condition at the time, mine kind of got pushed under the rug-so now I've asked for my medical records and am looking at what was going on. (I myself was out of it due to the Mag. and then w/his dx.) So just looking for some answers-will also be making an appointment w/my OB for a "preconception" appointment though need some answers before deciding on if we are going to ttc again. So-briefly my story. Mitchell is 21months now and is doing well. :) So sorry for the confusion.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun May 19, 637675 3:50 pm

Um, I have no idea about the MCHC or bicarbonate. Surely, someone here does and can help out some. As far as the 24 hr. goes, that is EXTREMELY high. Over 300 (coupled with pressure of 140/90) is PE dx criteria, so 9462 would, in my mind, be cause for alarm. Platelets begin dropping (but in some cases, I think, can raise again) when PE really starts rolling. In my case, postpartum my platelets started dropping and didn't stop until they reached a low of 50,000. My cathater was pulling miniscule amounts of urine and it was quite bloody as a result of the HELLP syndrome and my kidneys and liver were extremely compromised. Have you been dx with PE (I'm assuming you have with 24 hr. results like that)...and have they dx HELLP? Again, my assumption is that they haven't dx HELLP or they wouldn't let you be walking around. How far along are you now, and is your doctor treating it aggressively? The thing about HELLP, anyway, is that there isn't anything you (or the dr) can do to stop it or reverse it; supportive care (managing bps, transfusions - in some cases, etc) is about as good as it gets. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but your doctors , hopefully, will take notice of those 24 results. Did your doctor not want to see you immediately after those results; if you don't get the answers/care you're looking for...do not hesitate to find it elsewhere. PE and HELLP should not be taken lightly. I'll be thinking of you!

pkandm

Postby pkandm » Sun May 19, 637675 6:55 am

Okay, so can you help me.....this is what I have-- my numbers were just slightly high or slightly low MCHC-high (not sure what this is) bicarbonate-low (not sure what this is) and my 24hour urine was 9462-which is very high...right? Platelets were just a little low as well but decreasing from the time I was addmitted.
I am getting an appointment w/my OB to sort all of this out but would kind of like a little understanding before I go in.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”