problems getting pregnant again....

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

problems getting pregnant again....

Postby heathera » Fri Feb 06, 2004 07:01 am

Actually.....getting pregnant isn't a problem...staying pregnant is. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble after HELLP in a first pregnancy?

Here is the history:
My first pregnancy with my daughter went really well until 33 weeks when my BP shot up and I got REALLY puffy. At 34 weeks I was put into the hospital on bedrest. Each morning I had blood taken to check enzymes/platelets so we could see if I needed to be induced that day. I lasted a week, and when my platelet level droppped to 90,000 my OB decided to induce. Labour and delivery were not fun, but we both made it. My daughter stayed in the NICU for 4 days (breathing problems) and then we went home. My BP was still a little high (140/90), but they gave me some BP meds (can't remember what it was) and sent me home also. 3 days later we were back in the ER. My BP was 170/110 or something crazy like that and I was having terrible chest pain. So much for PE/HELLP resolving after delivery!!! I took about another 3 weeks to get me sorted out before I was feeling well again.

This summer, my husband and I decided that we wanted to have another child. We got pregnant quickly (like, first try). Unfortunately, when we went for our routine 12 week ultrasound they couldn't find a heartbeat. The baby had died a couple weeks earlier.
After lots of grieving, we decided to try again in January. Again I got pregnant right away. Again, no happy ending. I had surgery on Monday to remove an ectopic pregnancy. I have none of the traditional risk factors for an ectopic, so everyone seems to be mystified.

I suppose that all this could just be bad luck (as the DRs in the hospital kept telling me), but I find that hard to believe. Sometimes we don't always understand the reason/science, but things always happen 'because' of something.

Has anyone had similar problems, or do you know of someone?

I have an appt. with my OB next week to talk about what happened/what to do next, but I feel so confused right now. Are there tests I should be asking for? (NOTE: before these pregnancies I was tested for a clotting disorder - sorry can't remember the name - and I don't have it.) Am I grasping at straws trying to find out if there is a connection??
Heather

Heather (36)
DH Steve (39)
Alexandra (2) born @35 weeks due to HELLP
heathera

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders