Diabetes

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
liz108

Re : Diabetes

Postby liz108 » Sat Jan 03, 638303 7:33 am

Ii everyone. It has been a while, but I just wanted to let you all know that my results were clear. There doesn't seem to have been anything that caused my HELLP and there are no after effects. I also wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me out here. I couldn't have got though this without you. x

liz108

Postby liz108 » Mon Aug 19, 638289 4:12 pm

Not at all MommyBoo! Thanks everyone.
I had my tests taken last Friday. On inspecting the form they gave me, I am not even sure that they are testing for diabetes! It had lupus on there, so I will be scouring the internet for that now. Who knows. I just wish they would let me know what is happening! I have been told the tests can take months to come back (in the UK anyway) so I am trying not to get too worked up about it for now.
Hugs x

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Fri Feb 04, 638287 7:50 am

Just to clarify....
Type 1 diabetes, also known as Juvenile diabetes or IDDM (insulin dependent diabetes melitus)- this is genetic and usually presents in childhood. You have to have the genes to develop this. The pancreas eventually completely stops making insulin and so injections or an insulin pump has to be used to replace the lost insulin.

Type 2 diabetes, or non IDDM- The risk factors are genetic but doesn't mean you'll get it. Like having risk factors for a heart attack. It can also be brought on by weight or strain on the body. Usually, the pancreas either slows down production of insulin or continues making insulin but the body is unable to effectively use the insulin. Often, diet can control it or meds to help the insulin absorption. If neither of those work, extra insulin is given with injections. Often, weight loss can help resolve the absorption problems and help to control the diabetes. Diets work to control the diabetes by not making the pancreas work too hard to produce more insulin, allowing the body to use the insulin that it has.

Gestational diabetes or GD- This is pregnancy during diabetes that did not exist prior to becoming pregnant. The extra strain of pregnancy causes the body to act like you have type 2 diabetes and insulin is not absorbed well. It's treated the same as type 2 but usually resolves after birth. In some, it stays after birth resulting in type 2 diabetes or you are put at a higher risk of developing type 2 later. This is because just like pre-e, pregnancy unmasks problems and diabetes is one of those problems. However, since type 1 is genetic, your chances for developing it are the same.

The reason they are so confusing is that they are actually different diseases that share the same symptoms but not the same causes.

I'm sure I confused everyone more now. Sorry, I tend to ramble

mermaid

Postby mermaid » Fri Jan 14, 638287 4:37 am

i agree the pre=diabetes, gestational diabetes, and type 11 diabetes stuff is all so confusing...my story is that i never had any sugar/pre diabetes issues before pregnancy #1, then got GD with pregnancy #1 but it responded very well to diet control and i had no need for meds...after my son, i lost all the baby weight pretty quickly and returned to my healthy lifestyle and diet of lower carb diet (but not total abstinence) and then with this pregnancy, i started eating like a GD in the second trimester (first trimester i was soo sick all i could eat was bread, cheese and bagels-carb fest) anyhow, it turns out i am not a GD this time around-i was sooo happy!, i've even gained less weight with this second pregnancy and i've had several treats but overall have high veggie, fiber, protein diet...all this to say, i think for those of us in the "gray zone" of not being clinically diagnosed as diabetic or it going away after baby, we can do a lot to control our diet, exercise and sugar levels, we are likely more at risk of developping full blown diabetes later in life but we have some control over the onset of it in many cases!
here's an example of what i ate today:
breakfast: big bowl of kashi go lean crunch ceral, blueberries, tea
snack: unsalted cashews
lunch: chicken salad, veggies, small dish of pasta
afternoon snack: apple, multigrain tortilla chips
dinner: shrimp, spinahch, mushrooms, edamame beans
dessert: i will splurge and have 4 girlscout cookies and some tea!
i'm finally getting used to eating really healthy stuff 95% of the time then not feeling guilty or worried if i have some chocolate here and there=i think it balances out, i'd rather forgo the bread on a chicken salad sandwich and have the cookies!!!

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Sat Jan 01, 638287 8:15 am

The gestational diabetes diet is one that is a balance of carbs, protein and fat at each meal. A dietician can help you plan for this diet, but I will share MY diet with you, but check with your Dr. before trying anything new!

Breakfast: 2 carbs (30 grams)
1 protein (one serving is 7 grams)
1 fat

Snack: 1-2 carbs (15-30 grams)
1 protein

Lunch: 3-4 carbs (45-60 grams)
2-3 proteins
2 fats

Snack: Same as above snack

Dinner: Same as lunch

Snack: Same as above

Veggies were allowed as desired. Fruit was counted as carbs based on the size of the fruit. I was not allowed to eat fruit before noon due to it's high sugar content. I was told to eat every 3-4 hours during the day, and to not go longer than 10 hours at night without eating.

I am still trying to follow this diet, as I know it is just healthy. I mangaged my GD (with insulin) on this diet, and had a healthy little girl. I don't think that it could hurt anyone, but if you do get GD, you do have to readjust constantly to keep your BS levels even, so make sure to check with your Dr.

Keep us posted.

liz108

Postby liz108 » Sat Jan 01, 638287 4:28 am

Some of the posts I have read in other forums, say that they have followed a strict diet for GD. Can anyone tel me what kind of foods/diet this is?

liz108

Postby liz108 » Sat Jan 01, 638287 4:13 am

Hi. Thanks for your message. If I follow a low GI diet, will this help? I am having my tests done on Friday of this week, so will soo find out one way or the other. My grandfather had diabetes and I have been told hat it skips a generation. Anyone else heard of this?

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Wed Nov 17, 638286 3:51 am

I just wanted to chime in and say that I have pre-diabetes and I wasn't diagnosed with it until a year and a half later after I had my son due to severe PE. I was told by my pcp when he diagnosed with this that since I have PCOS, pre-diabetes and had PE with my son that I am at a higher risk to having it again. I have been monitoring my blood sugars, exercising and eating the right foods(diabetic diet for me!). I also am on medicine that helps with my PCOS and lower's my blood sugars.
I know that if I do all these things:exercise, eat right, monitor my blood sugar etc that I will help my chances in not getting PE with my next pregnancy. Basically I feel that I have to be proactive about it!
I don't know if this helps you any but I just wanted to chime in since this is close to my heart:)

liz108

Postby liz108 » Fri Nov 05, 638286 9:22 am

Aah. It is much clearer now. Thanks all. I will let you know how I get on!

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Thu Nov 04, 638286 9:44 pm

I had gestational diabetes and was told that my risk of developing type II diabetes is much higher now than in someone who didn't have GD. I agree that the pregnancy just "unmasked" a predisposition to diabetes that was already there. I am working to lose weight and get healthier overall to try to keep it away for as long as possible.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”