Post Reply FAQ Members Login

is this really HELLP?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

is this really HELLP?

Postby 3preemiekidz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 06:35 pm

by 3preemiekidz (84 Posts), Fri Apr 09, 2004 06:35 pm

I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia during my first pregnancy. I only knew a little about it because my Mom had toxemia with one of her kids. I was already seeing a perinatologist since I also have type 1 diabetes and I soon learned that that increases my chances of developing pre-e. I went on to deliver at 35 weeks.

With my second pregnancy, they diagnosed me with full blown pre-e at 18 weeks. I delivered our son at 29 weeks and was only told I had preeclampsia. They kept saying PIH and it didn't dawn on me that to them it was the same thing. With my third baby I once again developed pre-e at 18 weeks and had her at 31 weeks. The Dr. once again only said I had pre-e. I was going in weekly for blood tests, blood pressure checks and eventually was hospitalized where I was getting daily NST's. After my third baby was born I requested my medical records, more for my own curiosity than anything. I was shocked to read that with both my 29 and 31 week babies, I had developed HELLP syndrome.

I've read a lot about HELLP and the only thing I can figure out is that because I normally have high platelets, that when they dropped to borderline low, they then diagnosed HELLP. Does that sound right? I thought your platelets had to drop below a certain number before it was considered HELLP and I know mine came close but never below that number. Is it possible that the higher platelets is also causing the pre-e? I'm just so confused. I had the whole pre-e thing down and now I'm trying to find out all about HELLP. UGH!

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 3,
Ezra 2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
born at 35, 29 and 31 weeks due to Pre-e/HELLP
3preemiekidz

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders