Going nuts after delivery?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
sibyl23

Re : Going nuts after delivery?

Postby sibyl23 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 02:57 pm

Having severe PE and HELLP is not only physically taxing, but emotionally taxing as well. After coming close to death, I had terrible anxiety about everything. I saw the possibility of death everywhere - driving, bathing my son, even walking down stairs!

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Thu Oct 09, 2008 01:24 am

Haha Nicole- My husband gave in and we're doing cloth now. I have gone completely opposite of how I used to be.

I do feel like they are missing something like they did with my PE and HELLP and the more people trying to imply I've become paranoid the more paranoid I would get because I felt I was the only one who could save me now.

I feel like I fought to live so hard and I finally gave up because no one was listening to me. about a month after my son was born I finally came to terms with the fact that I was going to die in the next week or two- but I never did! I just became earth friendly!

nborrayo

Postby nborrayo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 01:18 am

jgrumet,
I totally understand. Even after 4 years and having a HELLP/PE-free pregnancy, I am still doing most of the things you listed, PLUS the cloth diapers - ha ha
I had all the tests done and there is nothing wrong with me, but I still feel like the doctors are missing something - like they did before. I may be the wrong person to ask but I think most of our concerns are valid. We just take them a little farther than most people because of our experience of suddenly losing faith in our bodies. I think it will get better. I think these changes are good, it is just the stress of thinking about them that has to go ;)

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:31 pm

quincy, is this your last one or do you think you may try again? Is your belly bigger this time around? My sister's belly kept getting larger with every pregnancy. She is tall and thin with this huge belly. Everyone thought she was full-term around 6 mos with the 3rd one!

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 08:13 am

My daughter is too young to have to worry about me, which is a blessing. She is crazy for babies and if she shows half the enthusiasm for her brother that she shows for her friends smaller siblings, we are in great shape. My husband was far more traumatized by my ectopic than my HELLP syndrome. As a result of that, I think, he has approached this pregnancy far more cautiously as far as letting himself get excited. He's a smart, sensitive guy though, and has worked really hard not to be too negative. In short, he feels like I do...until we bring a healthy baby home, he is bracing himself. Overall though, we are living day to day as normally as possible. It's that or be in a state of constant freak out...clearly not conducive to good health in any situation!

The swelling is so minor, it is probably nothing...I know that, but I have to worry about it anyway! I am certainly willing to laugh at myself later if it turns out to be nothing...

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Sat Sep 27, 2008 00:48 am

How is your family handling this pregnancy?

I think normal pregnancies have some swelling at the point you're at.

I think I started swelling the moment I got pregnant! I was 93lbs trying desperately to gain weight. I found out I was pregnant 10 days after conception and I had gained 10lbs! I wonder if there is a connection there.

I think you're doing great. Anyone who goes through another pregnancies after a scary one like PE or HELLP is my hero.

Just vent to us whenever you want. I think getting all of the worries out to an understanding audience will keep anyone more relax than if they kept it to themself. I would have loved this forum four months ago!

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Fri Sep 26, 2008 06:14 pm

Jgrumet,

Not being alone is a major part of this board for me. Sometimes I have to take a break when I get too sad about everyone's stories, but mostly it is helpful, especially when I am feeling crazy. I really don't like subjecting my family to my obsessive worry about this pregnancy, and hanging out here helps focus some of that energy. But, in reality, the pregnancy is going fine so far. I've gained a bit too much weight, but nothing off the charts (I like carbs when I am prego). Had m/s and a bit of bleeding early on, but every test has come back normal so far, including all but one of the exotic MFM ones. Just waiting on the factor V results, but I have a feeling it will be negative. Baby Boy looked great at his 20 week ultrasound. My fingers have been getting the tiniest bit puffy which of course freaks me out, but it's warm and humid still so I just keep telling myself, "you MUST chill!" Thanks for asking, and I will keep the board updated...hopefully with tiny boring news tidbits and a boring scheduled c-section birth story in January!
Q

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Thu Sep 25, 2008 08:44 pm

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

How is your pregnancy going so far? January will be here soon.

I'm actually enjoying all this green stuff I'm going- I just need to relax about it a bit. I want it to be more of a hobby or interest than something I feel i HAVE to do.

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Thu Sep 25, 2008 06:53 pm

For a year or more after Katherine was born, I was convinced I was going to die within the year. I was convinced I had all sorts of things wrong with me. I went through phases that were OCD ish with regards to my home.

Time has helped that go away. Also the realization that I did not want to live my life alternately living in the future and being terrified of what it was going to bring. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten mental health care. I came through ok, but it took me longer by myself than if I had gotten help. I think the pp's were correct in identifying some of your fears as normal to the transition of being a parent. When I look back at what I went through emotionally, I have to say that my illness was partly to blame, but being a first time parent coupled with my worry prone personality also played a role. In any case, time has been a salve like no other.

And hey, nothing wrong with cleaning up your life and living a little greener. We all could benefit from that, right?

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Thu Sep 25, 2008 05:28 pm

Thanks that makes me feel better. I definitely am still afraid. My sister has been this way for 20 years and maybe I'm trying to be like her because she's had three healthy pregnancies with midwives. I'm glad she never got this, but it kind of makes me sad how the least amount of intervention is needed for my sister's children and I'm a walking time-bomb (of at least feel like it)

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”