HELLP w/No disorders

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
pswanson34

Re : HELLP w/No disorders

Postby pswanson34 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:00 pm

I have been on blood pressure meds since I delivered our first son at 27 weeks weighing 1 pound 14 ounces. Before my second pregnancy my cardiologist switched my blood pressure meds to Labetelol which has been proven safe for pregnany women. I was on that and delivered our second son successfully on 8/18/08 a 37 1/2 weeks weighing 8 pounds 1 ounce.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Oct 09, 2008 02:16 am

I just want to jump in here, because I'm worried we might be getting a little too blythe about what is and isn't harmful/helpful in a pregnancy potentially compromised by preeclampsia.

First of all, aspirin is most certainly not a "might help, can't hurt" drug in pregnancy. Indeed it comes with increased risk of miscarriage, for one. Where it has shown to potentially help - in women who have experienced early onset, severe preeclampsia - it's more a case of the possible benefits outweigh the risks.

As we are prone to saying around these parts: Dr. Google is not your friend. Just because aspirin, or folic acid (for some MTHFR mutations), or heparin/lovenox (for those with certain clotting disorders) MAY improve outcomes in subsequent pregnancies for that individual, this is not a one size fits all disease.

In my own case, I was on aspirin in my second and third pregnancies: number two was a second case of early onset pe; no 3, PIH with a near term delivery. Did the aspirin make any difference? Who knows? Certainly nothing conclusive enough for me to think any woman with prior pe at any gestation should start popping pills.

Preeclampsia is known as the disease of theories: there are so many different presentations, combinations of risk factors and degrees of severity in outcomes, that researchers can barely get a handle on one aspect, than something else comes up to dislodge it. How many times did we hear 'can't hurt, might help' about large doses of calcium and vitimin C before it was shown that they are not therapies without risk?

And let's just not go down the diet route. If diet prevented preeclampsia, believe me, this forum would not have any reason to exist: it would be a static page with a menu plan. Indeed, in cases where the kidneys are struggling, a high protein diet is likely to exacerbate the problem, not help it.

Unfortunately, for many of us there is no pill or potion or lifestyle change that makes the darndest scrap of difference as to whether we get pe in a subsequent pregnancy or not. The fact is, most women do not get it again - by far and away the largest percentage of women don't.

What we know improves outcomes is educating women about this disease, having them advovcate for themselves and being monitored closely by the most experienced high risk OB you can sink your teeth into. This foundation supports and welcomes proper peer-reviewed research. We are fortunate enough to have a panel of medical experts in this field offering their experience and wisdom. We do not support or condone self-medication.

nborrayo

Postby nborrayo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 00:58 am

My doctor didn't want to treat me as high risk. He did nothing special. I did research on my own and with a midwife and put myself on aspirin, folic acid, and a high-protein diet. Also more exercise. I did not have HELLP or PE in my second pregnancy :)My doctor said it didn't have anything to do with my personal treatments, but hey, I don't care!

sdbaby1984

Postby sdbaby1984 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:41 am

I am 18 weeks pregnant now with my second. My doctor has me seeing an MFM/Peri, started baby aspirin at 16 weeks and 3 mg folic acid since the beginning. The doctors told me that the aspirin and folic acid might not work but they wouldn't hurt anything. Other than that I am getting ultrasounds more often, a 1st trimester scan/blood test to see if the placenta was forming well (sometimes early signs of pre-e show on these tests, later I will have growth scans and liver tests, more often and non-stress tests twice a week before delivery. All of this is just to catch HELLP and pre-e sooner. Unfortunately if I get it, there's not a whole lot they can do. Thankfully nothing has happened, and I feel great. Though I'm a lot more tired with a 15 month old to chase around.

brianjrsmom

Postby brianjrsmom » Tue Oct 07, 2008 05:34 pm

jgrumet - I had no pree / HELLP with my second pregnancy

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Mon Oct 06, 2008 09:47 am

After my MFM appointment where he and I discussed the pro's and con's of baby aspirin, I decided to go on it...from about 20 weeks. I am 24 weeks now. No pre-E symptoms yet, I'll keep everyone posted.

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Mon Oct 06, 2008 08:54 am

Hello. I was also on baby asprin but stayed on it throughout my 2nd pregnancy. They did some additional ultrasounds (level 2 doppler I think) but that was at 18 weeks. Other than that they just kept checking me regularly and frequently.

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Fri Sep 26, 2008 03:15 pm

How did the asprin work for you with the next pregnancy?

brianjrsmom

Postby brianjrsmom » Fri Sep 26, 2008 02:03 pm

For me, my doctor put me on baby asprin untill 23 weeks. He told me that the research is debateable on whether it helps or not, but it couldn't hurt. I was also monitered more carefully (extra ultrasounds, seeing a peri).

lola1971

HELLP w/No disorders

Postby lola1971 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 01:38 pm

Just curious- for those that had HELLP with first pg but no underlying disorders, what kind of treatment/medicine/vitamins did your doc prescribe when pg again to try to prevent HELLP a second time?

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”