Introducing Myself

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
jend01

Re : Introducing Myself

Postby jend01 » Tue May 26, 638629 5:11 am

Hi and welcome to the site. I'm glad you found it. I too stumbled across this site after my experience with PE and eclampsia. I'm sure that you will find it very helpful to be able to talk to others that have been through the same thing.

One thing that kind of jumped out at me was that you said you think you should have been treated for PPD. It is not too late! Don't make yourself suffer through it. Even going on meds isn't right for you, maybe just talk to a therapist. Trust me it helps and it is never too late. I waited and suffered for 9 months before I even admitted that something was wrong (It actually took a panic attack to convince me). I made an appointment with a therapist and was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Which I have found out is also very common after PE. I have been doing much better and everyone has noticed that I am becoming more like myself again. I'm sorry that I waited so long, but I'm glad that I finally talked to someone.

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Sat May 16, 638629 8:48 am

Seems like a familiar story. I too feel guilty that i did not do more the first time I went to the hospital. My baby was 4lbs 4oz but she was doing great, she did get low platelet counts though. It's been 8 months since the birth of my little Daniela and i still feel depressed about what happened. I pick myself up, but then I start thinking about what could have been done differently. I guess i gotta give it some time. I now worry about becoming pregnant again because I want to be in this world for my little Daniela.

tlovele

Postby tlovele » Sat Jan 31, 638629 5:07 pm

Hi! I ran into this site on accident after my incident and found it very useful, and hopefully you will too. I understand what you mean about feeling guilty. My pre-e and HELLP went undiagnosed until it was too late, and unfortunately my son didn't make it, and I barely made it. I still feel really guilty to this day(3 years later)about not being able to help him more, and give him a shot at making it. They didn't hook him to any machines, or couldn't try to revive him. I felt like I should've noticed I was feeling different, just like you said. But don't beat yourself up, your baby is healthy and well now, and that's all that matters. No ill effects. I would definitely switch doctors though if you felt brushed off or still feel depressed. Sometimes it takes some looking before you find one that will listen. Good luck, and keep checking in here. Believe me, it helps to know someone else is going through the same thing.

amandaoasis

Postby amandaoasis » Tue Dec 16, 638628 4:24 am

Welcome Amy!

What you describe seems so common amongst all of us on these boards. The guilt is sometimes still there for me. Dealing with HELLP has changed me, no doubt about it.

Just the act of finding this resource and connecting with those who have similar experiences helped me to deal with the anxiety and guilt. I hope it does the same for you. Some women have said that getting their medical records and becoming educated about what happened to them helped. Still others have had success with some type of therapy.

Take care of yourself and congrats on a healthy happy baby!

evansmommy

Introducing Myself

Postby evansmommy » Mon Dec 15, 638628 11:23 pm

Hi ladies,

I am new to this forum. I didn't even know it existed and after reading a few posts am so glad that I found it.

I had my little boy in May 29, 2008 at 37 weeks. I went into the hospital on the 28th because of severe abdominal pain. After being in the maternity ward triage for about 4 hours, I was admitted to a room after being given a shot of nubain and was told they'd monitor me for 24 hours. That morning, my doctor arrived and told me I had something called HELLP and she couldn't induce me because of the risk that I would go into seizure post-delivery or even during labor. I had a c-section that morning and my son was born at 5lbs 14oz. We were lucky - all of my levels were normal when I was discharged 3 days later and my son didn't have to spend any time in the NICU.

I have been dealing with all sorts of emotions ever since. I have not experienced the anxiety that others describe, but I have a tremendous amount of guilt over what happened. At my 36-week appointment, I told my doctor how swollen my feet were getting and my blood pressure was slightly elevated from my normal, but nowhere near pre-e levels. A few days later, the pain started and I thought it was heartburn. I almost didn't want to go in to the hospital on the 28th, but my DH forced me b/c I couldn't stand up straight. I thought I was overreacting. Then my son...even though he is a perfectly healthy 28-pound 16-month-old, I still feel this horrible guilt over how small he was when he was born. I felt like I hadn't done enough in my pregnancy for him to be bigger. His doctor has no concerns over his milestones, even though he's been on the late end of the scale for just about every one except for walking. I worry that it is b/c of the HELLP or b/c of when he was born. I worry that we're going to have trouble conceiving again or that we won't be able to carry another child to full term. These are just my thoughts - my doctor hasn't mentioned any concerns. I feel cheated out of a "normal" labor and delivery, too, especially knowing that I'll never get to experience one now b/c of my c-section.

My DH says that I am different since then. I hadn't noticed but know he is probably right. I worry now that I should have been treated for PPD or something. And now, after reading a few threads, I have many more questions about underlying conditions, which I didn't even know were possible. My mom has thyroid disease. I have been tested and it has always come back negative. I have shared my history with my family doctor and there was no mention of any testing needing to be done. I never got a full explanation of what happened to me. Whenever I talk about it with others, I feel like they brush it off as not being that serious b/c of the way that it happened to me - it was over as quickly as it started.

Anyway, thank you for letting me share. I plan to visit often now and hope that I can help contribute to your community!

Amy

Then there are things that have changed

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”