My story

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
jfindley

Re : My story

Postby jfindley » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Welcome Gabriela. Congratulations on your baby girl! I was also misdiagnosed with Gastritis for awhile, in fact, the OB argued with the perinatologist, who suspected HELLP. My OB tried to discharge me, but the peri overrode the discharge and thank God, kept me in the hospital until I delivered at 26 weeks. They should have taken you straight to the hospital the morning theu saw you platlets at 48,000! That was so risky for you and Daniela. Even on the day of my delivery, they tried to give me mylanta again, it was so frustrating. I do give my OB some credit as she was the one who finally ordered the liver MRI to reveal my liver bleeding and my gall bladder was fine. After delivery, I also never saw my OB again, not by my choice, she just never returned my calls. I think HELLP is commonly misdiagnosed and most OB docs just don't have that much experience with it. I started interviewing all the OB docs in my HMO and finally found a great one who has taken the time to go over my chart and has a lot of experience with HELLP. I hope you can do the same. You may also want to ask for a consult with a maternal fetal medicine doc or perinatologist to look into underlying conditions. The one thing I have come to learn through all of this is that most of the time, various doctors will have various opinions on diagnosis and treatment and just be in complete disagreement. It can leave you feeling confused and vulnerable. The only way I cope is to educate myself as much as possible so I can understand the decisions being made. I ask a lot of questions and if one of my many docs doesn't communicate well with me, I just immediately request a 2nd opinion until I find one who will listen and explain. I drive them all crazy, but I keep telling myself, if I get pregnant again, I don't want any surprises that could have been prevented. My boy is almost 1 year old (8.5months adjusted)now! He just started crawling! He weighs 21lbs and is doing great. He just got the dreaded RSV and we are doing breathing treatments at home, but I think he is going to be fine. They really are little miracles!

preemomof2

My story

Postby preemomof2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 06:24 pm

I was 26 years old when I first got pregnant. My pregnancy went fine except for 3 mos of continuous UTI's. At 35 weeks into my pregnancy i started feeling an acute pain right about where your breastbone ends. The first night doctor on duty (My doctor was out of town) said to take tums because it was probably gastritis. The next morning I went to his office just to make sure everything was fine with my baby girl(again gastritis diagnosis). That night i was in pain again for about 2 hours till I decided to go to the hospital, at that time my doctor was on duty. I told the nurse i had a slice of pizza that night and she told the doctor. Doctor didn't see me, she just ordered mylantha and released me from the hospital.

The following morning I had a routine check up and they did a CBC which showed my liver enzymes elevated, protein in urine, and platelet count at 48.000. At 5:00 p.m. they call my house to go back to the OB's office to have more blood drawn, at 8:00pm I'm told to go to the hospital to have a liver sonogram done. So it turns out that by midnight everything just got worse and platelet count is at 22.000 and I was bleeding. I was rushed to an emergency c-section(I had developed HELLP and pre eclampsia) and my mom was told to pray for me cause I was in God's hands. My husband was in Tennesse for his Job training and we hadn't seen each other in 2 mos. At 2:23 a.m. my daughter was born weighing 4lbs4oz. I spent 2 days in the ICU and she spent 8 days in the NICU cause her platelets were low. The doctor saw me during my stay at the ICU and when she went to sign the papers to release me from the hospital. Since then (Already almost 8 months) she has not seen me or given me an explanation, i've been only seen by the nurse practitoner.
I wish she accepted that she did something wrong, because I've lost the confidence I had in her, and sometimes doctors do not understand how debastating this is to us. I did not see my baby's birth, [b]I couldn't see her for 2 days, and I'm left with all the if's.
On the bright side, my little angel is growing and she's the most adorable thing that ever happened to us, her name.....Daniela, our little miracle.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”