Where is this epigastric pain located?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
kmb1419

Re : Where is this epigastric pain located?

Postby kmb1419 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 06:11 pm

I also had "band" pain and it was under my boobs. When I asked about this terrible pain, I was told it was probably the baby or my uterus stretching. I would always get the pain at night. I remember it would keep me up for a couple of hours and nothing would ease the pain. It is just horrible!!!

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 05:18 pm

The pain I experienced was severe "band" pain....I explained as someone was bear-hugging my ribcage and wouldn't stop...it only worsened as the HELLP progressed & my liver continued to enlarge & threatened rupture. I'd say the pain was located under my boobs (like lifting them up) but all around the ribcage. Ugh...wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy!

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Tue Jan 12, 2010 06:25 pm

For my HELLP, It was located under my right rib cage, couple of inches below your boob. It then would radiate to my back, midways. The pain hurt SO incredibly bad I set in tears. Tylenol helped at first but about a week before I delivered it had stopped working. I got to were I had to sleep setting up, hurt too bad to lay.

Now I am 7 months PP and my liver has yet again showed its ugly self. This time the pain felt I had a big was of food in my chest, pain in my back, fever, nausea, my sugar dropped a couple of times ( I am not diabetic).

IMHO, you can never be too overcautious. Even though my case was so severe, I believe if I was caught early in my pregnancy, I wouldn't be in the shoes I am now. Communication is key.

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 05:38 pm

My HELLP pain was right at the bottom of my rib cage and radiated through my back so sometimes I wasn't sure if the pain was in my back or front.

It sounds close enough like it to warrant testing, for sure. And if the pain continues, don't be hesitant to get them re-tested. (When I was first admitted to the hospital my numbers were almost normal--and that was after 3 weeks of the pains--6 hours after my initial bloodwork they ran it again and things were bad, that quickly.)

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:53 pm

I had no pain what so ever when my liver enzymes were elevated. It varies so much. But you had a ALT drawn right? That will let you know how your liver is.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 pm

The "sticky" at the top of this page talks about it, the abdominal pain. It varies from person to person. Mine felt like the worst heartburn EVER and was located at the upper part of my rib cage right in the middle. The pain was constant no matter what I tried for relief.

workingon7

Where is this epigastric pain located?

Postby workingon7 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 08:30 pm

I have pih and for several days last week when in the hospital I had pain on my right side. BUT I thought no, couldn't be THAT epigastric pain becsaue the nurses/drs make it sound like it is directly under the boob or in the middle of your chest. My pain was not in the middle at all, and in fact more on the side and also down a bit.. like closer to where my ribs end at the bottom of my rib cage area.

It was extremely painful, couldn't lay on it, touch it.. I did wonder if it was that pain they talk about but (stupidly) never brought it up becusae like I said they make it sound like it should be high enough to almost have to lift your boob up to get to it (sorry ladies lol) I don't have the extreme pain that I had, but I get twinges or odd periods of pain now on and off.. does this sound like what you experienced? Or likely not related?

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”