Severe PE = Hellp???

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
meredithdrews

Re : Severe PE = Hellp???

Postby meredithdrews » Fri Feb 05, 2010 07:45 pm

I had severe pre-e and HELLP with my second pregnancy...they are different by related.

Pre-eclampsia is defined by high blood pressure and protein in your urine.

HELLP is Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes and Low Platelets. Essentially, your liver is not happy with you, you are very anemic and your platelets are low. How severe HELLP is is defined by how low your platelets are. Mine were in the 14-16 (000) range so it was severe...I bruised so much and SO easily.

Hope that helps.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm

This is how it was explained to me....
HELLP and pre-e are 2 seperates entities.
From what I am told you can go straight to HELLP or go from pre-e to HELLP. I went PIH, pre-e and HELLP. It is a fork in the road.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:59 pm

Hellp (in the way that I understand it) is the next thing after you have PE. Its like what happens next when PE progresses.

I think a lot of OB's do not have as much knowledge as a lot of MFM's do on PE and Hellp because its so "rare" if you will.

They are two different things and one of the things that will tell you if you had Hellp and what class it is is your platelet numbers, (however I dont remember the ranges)

kmb1419

Severe PE = Hellp???

Postby kmb1419 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 06:17 pm

I have been going through my medical records and noticed on some pages it is written that I had severe pe but then on others it says hellp. So my question is this-Is hellp considered severe pe? Are they 2 separate things? Is this a matter of semantics? Do some doctors use them interchangeably?

Ok-maybe that was more than 1 question but you know what I mean! :)

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”