? about underlying condition tests

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
jean

Re : ? about underlying condition tests

Postby jean » Wed Mar 19, 638927 8:15 pm

That's a good question..I didn't ask him...but of the thrombophilia tests, can any of those disorders cause problems outside of pregnancy?

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Wed Mar 19, 638927 5:45 pm

I have had these labs done several times. Once I was not pregnant and the other two times I was pregnant. The tests taken while pregnant seemed to indicate that for whatever reason my protein s/protein c lower significantly during my pregnancies. Otherwise, I tend to be on the low end of normal when not pregnant.

As far as your insurance goes I would find out about the appeals process. Is your doctor testing for any clotting disorders that can have a significant effect on your health outside of pregnancy? If so, I would argue that at least those tests should be considered "medically necessary" because they could affect your overall health.

jean

Postby jean » Wed Mar 19, 638927 2:58 pm

Yeah, I think it's really weird too. And aggrivating! I'm finding out new things about our insurance all of the time that is really frustrating and upsetting me. Apparently they also will only pay what they deem "doctors should charge" and anything in excess of that, we have to pay for-plus it doesn't go toward out of pocket max...so who knows what we'll end up paying for my last pg. :(

Something I thought was VERY interesting....the doctors analyze placentas from pg's that had problems. I found out the results of mine-and there was a blot clot in it.
I'm wondering if that was the cause of my HELLP.
My husband says that just because there was a clot, that doesn't mean it caused anything, and he says the clot could have formed after the placenta was taken out(??) He also says people have clots all of the time, but usually they don't cause problems.
I don't know what to think of it all. I felt kind of encouraged to think that we maybe found a reason for it all, but his argument made me kind of lose my idea of that..

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Mar 19, 638927 1:00 am

Aspirin is still up in the air as to positive effect -- and of course all blood thinners have some risks -- so it's really a question of what your doc thinks is appropriate therapy for you.

I always like to talk about possibilities other than thrombophilias, like autoimmune conditions or diabetes/hypertension/metabolic syndrome. There's new data out showing that losing weight prior to pregnancy makes many pregnancy outcomes better -- though they didn't look specifically at PE numbers IIRC because the population was too small -- so anyone who's a candidate for weight loss could consider losing weight. Even if getting into fighting trim with weight loss and exercise doesn't do a dang thing to prevent PE, it certainly ought to make recovery easier, you know?

As for testing, I'm not sure. My new GYN just wanted to run a full bloods workup on me even though I'm not planning to get pregnant just because he thought some thrombophilias were worth treating even if I never have any more children. Lots of our posters are scripped to baby aspirin and extra folic acid for life. So I'm a little surprised that your insurance company treated them as a sort of unnecessary preconception test, and I'm wondering if calling them something like "diagnostic tests that you now fall into the category of needing because of your history" might help?

jean

Postby jean » Tue Mar 18, 638927 4:27 pm

Have any of you heard of(or had them done) after you became pg? After talking to my dr, he said maybe I could have the tests done after I became pregnant, because then they would be considered a necessity and not a preventative thing..

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Thu Mar 06, 638927 12:18 pm

For me, one poke, 17 vials of blood first time. Took 4 weeks for all results to come back which were all negative GRRRRR Got with a Hematologist, one poke and 8 vials. Since June of last year, I have had about 150-200 needle pokes. Needles don't bother me, never really did. I always request a butterfly needle. Yet again I go in May to a Internist who specializes in OB and probably will have more blood drawn. I think I am going to start charging them 20 $ a vial :P I would rather have proactive drs then drs who do nothing really. They should be able to tell you when the results will be back.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Mon Feb 24, 638927 11:43 am

not sure of risks...for me (im a clotter) any benifit outweighs the risk. LDA is supposed to make your blood thinner so you dont clot

jean

Postby jean » Mon Feb 24, 638927 11:37 am

Do you know what the aspirin does exactly to help? What the risks are? (hmm..or maybe I should ask my dr about it).

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon Feb 24, 638927 11:20 am

As Laura said, LDA is a good start. A lot of doctors presribe it, no matter what, if you had a history of PE.
Some women also use Lovenox or Heparin, but I am not sure in what instances these shots are used. Perhaps your doctor can tell you more about that.

I think it is a gray area of whether or not these tests are a necessity or preventative measure.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Mon Feb 24, 638927 10:45 am

IMO I dont think LDA would hurt

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”