? about underlying condition tests

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re : ? about underlying condition tests

Postby sam10 » Wed Feb 09, 638924 5:17 pm

Laura, my MFM wants to rule out any potential underlying condition and that includes also cardiovascular diseases, which after having PE I am at greater risk of developing (according to my MFM). I know already that my heart gets out of rhythm once in a while, but I was always told that it does not fall into any dangerous category, and that many people have it. At this point I am not too concerned about it, but I might start worrying when I will actually have my appointment.
At the moment I more worried about my family history of aneurysms (thorax), which I soon need to be checked for again. High BP and PE could have strained my arteries more than is good for me.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Feb 09, 638924 2:50 am

Sam I was sent to a cardiologist as well. Did they tell you why you should see one? Im still confused on why I should see one and not to mention im scared to go!

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue Feb 08, 638924 5:12 am

The tests are expensive (I think about $1000, not sure though), which might be the reason why some doctors don't think it is "necessary". My regular ob/gyn only tested for a few conditions after I had pushed him to do so. When I went to a consultation with my MFM to discuss future pregnancies, it was him who ordered all of them, and he also wants me to see a cardiologist to rule out any further complications before I am thinking of getting pregnant again.

mymiracles2

Postby mymiracles2 » Tue Feb 08, 638924 4:07 am

I am from Canada and my insurance id cover it, it was expensive without the coverage. However, regardless of the cost or coverage it is an excellent piece of mind to have. Mind you having said that all of my tests came back okay, guess I am a mystery:)

ktdwll

Postby ktdwll » Sat Jan 29, 638924 3:32 am

My daughter Kata had a basic panel done last week. We get the results this Wednesday. The DR says the tests listed on this site for underlying conditions are "too expensive" at this point. She is 8 1/2 months PP. She stilk isn't "feeling right", but her dr doesn't seem to think much about her severe PE and Cat. 1 HELLP. She says she may not have PE again. We know the stats, and Kata isn't thinking of having another child now, but we would like to make sure there isn't something we are missing, because she still isn't back to where either of us think she should be. Don't know where to go now. Her insurance is Medicaid and I know that may be part of the problem.

Thanks,

Diane

mom to Kata
grandother to Lilleonah born 7/12/09 at 38 weeks due to severe PE and HELLP

jean

Postby jean » Fri Jan 28, 638924 6:58 pm

I talked to two doctors and both of them said I probably didn't need to have the bloodwork done. :( I'm a little frustrated, because don't they want to look for the problem before it happens? Why are they negative about it-is it expensive? Difficult? Does insurance not cover it?

angieb

Postby angieb » Fri Jan 28, 638924 4:25 pm

You should be at least 6 weeks postpartum, and any time you have HELLP it is generally considered a good idea, even if you get it later. (They don't always test for pre-eclampsia especially if it's later.)

My results took a week, one *****, a lot of tubes-I don't think it was 10 but maybe they were bigger tubes.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Fri Jan 28, 638924 10:52 am

One poke, 10 little tubes. Waiting time approx. one week.

My tests were done at 6 weeks pp and then at 12 weeks pp, only b/c not all of them were tested at the first time around.

I think that it is a good idea to get checked for underlying disorders, so the doctors know how to treat you when pregnant. Some underlying disorders may require additional medication or monitoring and could possible change the way treatment is applied.

mymiracles2

Postby mymiracles2 » Thu Jan 27, 638924 11:33 pm

for me, there were about 8 viles of blood that they took, one poke as long as the blood is flowing well:) If I remember correctly the results were fairly soon. Hope that helps

jean

? about underlying condition tests

Postby jean » Thu Jan 27, 638924 11:24 pm

How long does it take to get results from these tests, and can all of the tests be taken at once or do you have to go back multiple times? Is there just one needle poke for these tests or mutliple pokes? How long after pregnancy is it a good idea to take these tests? Are these tests necessary if you made it past 25 weeks before you developed HELLP?

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”