Where to get prefilled heparin? Help!

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
jmom08

Re : Where to get prefilled heparin? Help!

Postby jmom08 » Thu May 20, 2010 01:50 am

Thanks!!! I got them ordered today through my ins. co's mail order pharmacy (thanks Holly!), the OB hadn't been able to find them either. So bizarre!

Nicole, next time I need a special prescription I'm coming up to your part of town! :)

Edit, updating thread in case others come across it in the future! I got the prefilled syringes yesterday, tried to assemble last night, and discovered they don't come with needles. Oops. I felt less stupid after my husband couldn't find any warning on the box either. So we're headed to a specialty pharmacy this morning to pickup needles (sounds like they're OTC) but wanted to give a heads up so others don't have to miss a dose!

misscoleyp

Postby misscoleyp » Wed May 19, 2010 07:54 pm

Ask your Dr's office. The Target by my RE's office always had a good supply of the fertility meds/shots becasue they sent all their patients there. They might have something like that too.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Wed May 19, 2010 07:18 am

I used the prefilled heparin and got it at a local "specialty pharmacy" (specialty was right in the name). I also could have gotten it from my insurance company's mail order pharmacy.

Good luck!

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Wed May 19, 2010 01:37 am

I would be OK with the standard vial if it doesn't have thimerosal or other risks! Or if it's the only option (I assume that the risks of either keeping me on lovenox or taking me off everything at this point in the pregnancy would be higher than possible risks of thimerosal!).

Thanks for responding, I will keep my fingers crossed someone knows where to get this stuff!!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue May 18, 2010 10:20 pm

I've only heard of one other person (at least on here) who's used prefilled heparin. Could your MFM rewrite for the standard vial/syringe or would you be opposed to that? I had a difficult enough time with my pharmacy (which my cousin owns!) having enough on hand to fill my standing order for lovenox each month; I'm sure this is an added hassle. Maybe Jenn (jenndola) will catch this and have some thoughts on it.

Good luck!

jmom08

Where to get prefilled heparin? Help!

Postby jmom08 » Tue May 18, 2010 08:24 pm

My MFM recommended I switch from lovenox to heparin this Friday (35 weeks), so my OB prescribed the prefilled heparin syringes, and no one around here seems to carry them!! We checked 2 CVS locations, 2 special compounding pharmacies, and the hospital pharmacy -- either they don't stock them or aren't sure if they can get them (not likely by Friday).

Help! If you've been on the prefilled heparin syringes, where did you get them???

One of the compounding pharmacies said they could get the vials, just not the prefilled. I wonder if the reason my OB prescribed the prefilled has to do with my concerns about preservatives (with flu shots, I've always asked for prefilled to avoid thimerosal) or if there's another reason?

Thank you in advance for any tips!!

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”