Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Platelets/PTT/PT results & heparin

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Platelets/PTT/PT results & heparin

Postby jmom08 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 06:13 pm

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Thu Jun 03, 2010 06:13 pm

I'm wondering if anyone who's had their platelets monitored while on lovenox/heparin might be able to point me toward a frame of reference for test results? If a patient gets conflicting interpretations of platelet test results from their OB's office, is there a source they can turn to for research (publication/study)?

I just got a voicemail from the nurse for the OB I saw 2 days ago (not my regular, they had to switch his patients that day) with my test results -- my cell garbles voicemails, but it sounded like she said my test results were low, so the OB (again not my regular) wants to increase my heparin from 2x day to 3x day. I called back for clarification & numbers, and got the following:

PTT 28 (reference range 24 - 33)
PT 9.3 (reference range 8.7 - 11.5)
Platelets 140 (normal is 140 - 415)

The second nurse said she was confused, and that to her my results looked normal. She said that my PT and PTT were on the "lower side of normal" but still normal. She didn't know why heparin was increased. She said she would try to get an answer & call back.

I did let the OB know when I saw him that I'd accidentally missed 2 doses of heparin in the last week (one of the missed doses was the day before my appt), so I wonder if that could have affected my numbers? I gave the 2nd nurse this info as well, in case it's relevant. I have a mild protein C deficiency clotting disorder, I turn 37 weeks tomorrow, and I'm scheduled for a repeat c-section on June 14. I switched from lovenox to heparin on May 20.

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction to research this -- I would like to educate myself if possible!
jmom08

Re : Platelets/PTT/PT results & heparin

Postby kara » Sat Jun 05, 2010 05:26 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Sat Jun 05, 2010 05:26 pm

Those results are normal, but it depends where you started for platelets. Heparin can cause lowered platelets but not always. Heparin is given based on weight, I believe, so maybe they are increasing for that reason? I'd have a talk with the doc before increasing the dose.
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : Platelets/PTT/PT results & heparin

Postby jmom08 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 05:42 pm

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Sat Jun 05, 2010 05:42 pm

Thanks!!! I talked with my MFM yesterday and he was very helpful -- he explained why some OBs recommend 2x/day and some recommend 3x/day later in pregnancy (and what, in his opinion, would be needed to increase to 3x/day). I'm waiting to talk with my regular OB before increasing dose. Thank you!!
jmom08

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders