Bruises and no idea what is causing them

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Bruises and no idea what is causing them

Postby jenmatt1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Right after the delivery of my daughter, I had tons and tons of bruises on my body- in places no one had to touch for my emergency C-section. This continued for a while and only seemed to get better once I had 2 blood transfusions.

With my current pregnancy, I noticed a small bruise on my belly last week- but I attributed that to having a 2 year old and somehow while we were playing I must have bumped it.

Now I have been away for work all week and I noticed a bunch of small bruises on the inside of my upper arm.

I have never been anemic or had any issues like that. So I am wondering if it is related to something I went through the first time with my daughter that I haven't though about.

Has any one else had these issues? I am early in pregnancy - almost 9 weeks and I am worried about these. I don't remember hitting my arm or anything that could have caused this.

Anyone have any thoughts?
jenmatt1

Re : Bruises and no idea what is causing them

Postby tree » Sat Jun 05, 2010 00:24 am

I know this is the standard answer, but I would call in for that tomorrow. Pregnancy induced klutz-iness could account for the occasional bruise or two, but not a "whole bunch." It could be something potentially easy to treat like anemia since iron requirements go up in pregnancy. I think it is weird enough that I would let the doctor decide if it is normal or not.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby anonpreemiemom » Sat Jun 05, 2010 01:27 am

Hmm are you on a blood thinner? I cant remember. I seem to recall heparin or one of those thinners make you bruise easier. Just being on the LDA I think I tend to bruise a bit easier. Course it could be a normal pregnancy thing.
anonpreemiemom

Postby jenmatt1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:49 am

Only on LDA. And I was thinking maybe that what was causing it too. And am a bit of a klutz to begin with but this bruise on my arm it is like 8 little circle shaped bruises within 3 inches of skin. And it is in a spot on the inside of my upper arm that would be hard to bump even if it was just me being a klutz. That is why it made me a little nervous. Guess I will give my doc a call and see what she says.

jenmatt1

Postby ozierja » Mon Jun 07, 2010 04:37 pm

Jennifer,
Just checking in to ask if you found out anything? Are you doing OK?
ozierja

Postby jenmatt1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 08:51 pm

I am fine- I am seeing doctor tomorrow. They are going to check for anemia. My younger sister had a tear in her carotid artery a year ago and because of that she is on baby aspirin too just for different reasons- and she said she gets random bruises- Her doctor says it is because of the LDA, so maybe it is just our family's reaction to the blood thinner quality of the baby aspirin.

I actually feel better this pregnancy than I have in any others- besides a lot more queasiness- so I guess that is a good sign so far.
jenmatt1

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders