Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Health problems after HELLP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Health problems after HELLP

Postby brismom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 01:11 pm

by brismom (94 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2010 01:11 pm

I had HELLP 8 years ago post partum with my one and only child. I am scared to TTC again but reading some of your posts may give me some courage. My question is I see some of you with multiple pregnancies and multiple problems due to preeclampsia. As a nurse, I know there are treatments out there but how much can our bodies take pregnancy after pregnacy, problem after problem. How many of you still deal with Hypertension?
Last edited by brismom on Mon May 14, 2012 09:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
brismom

Re : Health problems after HELLP

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 01:24 pm

by jenmatt1 (566 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2010 01:24 pm

I haven't had any medical issues after HELLP, except 2 miscarriages (which who knows what that is related to). I do not have any underlying disorders. I think the first step is to go see a MFM and just talk before you even try to conceive. You should be tested just to rule anything out. That way you go in with a clear head.

It was not easy for me to decide to do it again, but I found that I felt better arming myself with as much information as possible before trying and taking charge of my own health.

I think there is hope after HELLP- at least I have it.
jenmatt1

Postby jules2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 am

by jules2 (514 Posts), Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 am

Most women do make a full recovery even after very severe PE or HELLP.

I had very severe PE (BP 250/120, pulmonary oedema, class I HELLP etc), though I was going to die (as well as my baby), but made a complete recovery after a couple of weeks with no lingering problems. It is mostly an acute illness. The thing to bear in mind is that it "uncovers" your risk of hypertension and Cardiovascular disease in later life. The rapid and full recovery made it easier for me to contemplate trying again (although I am also very anxious).

I've had miscarriages too, but am in my late 30s so not hugely surprising.
jules2

Postby cjd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:54 pm

by cjd (12 Posts), Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm curious about this, too. I haven't been the same since delivering 2 years ago. Having mega low blood pressure problems, dizziness, and fatigue.
cjd

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders