Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Is HELLP milder when caught earlier?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Is HELLP milder when caught earlier?

Postby brismom » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:09 pm

by brismom (94 Posts), Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:09 pm

I was just wondering being that I had HELLP already and knowing that they would be checking for it, would it be safe to assume that it would be mild if I got it?
Last edited by brismom on Mon May 14, 2012 09:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
brismom

Re : Is HELLP milder when caught earlier?

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:18 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:18 am

HELLP is never mild. The only treatment for HELLP is immediate delivery.

The odds of the mother dying from PE or HELLP if she is getting modern medical treatment are much lower than the odds of dying in a car wreck, though it kills hundreds of thousands of women worldwide on an annual basis when they do not get such care. The odds of the baby dying from preterm delivery because of PE or HELLP depend very much on the gestational age at which delivery takes place. Some babies die of placental abruption or insufficiency, as well.

There have been a number of big research breakthroughs but none of them have led to changes in management, and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone delay childbearing in the hopes that management breakthroughs are on the horizon -- especially since the research breakthroughs are illuminating a very difficult problem indeed.

You drive to the grocery store, right? As long as you report your symptoms and are closely monitored, a PE pregnancy is safer than that drive is!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders