Adrenal Insufficiency & HELLP/PE?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Adrenal Insufficiency & HELLP/PE?

Postby cjd » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:42 pm

After my second pregnancy, I have had low blood pressure, fatigue, and just feel like crap.

My general practitioner is checking me for adrenal insufficiency. Can HELLP or PE trigger this?

Anyone with experience in this area? I just want to feel better!
Thanks,
CJD
cjd

Re : Adrenal Insufficiency & HELLP/PE?

Postby sezza » Thu Jun 24, 2010 00:59 am

Hey
I am not sure if this will help but went to a naturopath last year and she thought that i had adrenal fatigue. All the symptoms fit and she wondered whether the adrenal fatigue might have caused the hellp. TOTAL speculation and not based on anything at all. But in saying that the herbs that i took to help the fatigue made me feel a whole lot better and this pregnancy is better than the first.
I would def get the tests. Adrenals are to do with the endocrine system so they do stacks. Lots of flight and fight stuff i think.
I would google to get more information as there is a stack of information out there but probably not really related to a connection with hellp.
From what i have read i think that adrenal stuff is usually undetected but there is potentially a large pop with it. but don't quote me on that.
sezza

Postby tree » Thu Jun 24, 2010 03:27 pm

HELLP can be a cause of a very rare complication of pregnancy called Sheehan's Syndrome. Dr. Google can provide a better explanation than I can. Basically, the blood loss (usually from a hemmorage at birth or PP) causes a massive shock to the pituitary glad which then tortures you at some point later on. It can lead to adrenal insufficiency. There is a poster on the boards who has adrenal issues (might be more than one). If you do a search of the forums, you will be able to find her pretty easily.

Here are a couple of links to discussions on adrenal issues:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37983
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4909
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby cjd » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:14 am

Sezza, What herbs did you take? From what I read adrenal fatigue can be caused by stress, which I've had in mass amounts, so am trying to settle into a less stressful cycle, but right now it's just hard. I'm going to have some initial blood work drawn, but I have to fast and I keep messing that up by grabbing my coffee and then realizing I wasn't supposed to. I should put a large sign by the coffee maker.

Tree - I (apparently) lost a lot of blood during my c-section because the nurse mentioned it and I had to be bathed in recovery. I also remember having a bloody pillow case, even, but I didn't need a transfusion and no one mentioned that I lost "too much." I think I should order my hospital records for the second baby to see exactly what the notes say. I haven't felt right since the last baby, but I keep blaming that on stress. I've had a lot in 2 years. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out and do some board searching. And of course, consult Dr. Google!
cjd

Postby sezza » Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:52 am

Hey
Sorry for late reply. Had visitors.
The naturopath that I saw put me on a program that was devised by James L Wilson. I don't think that you can get the herbs over the counter as they were quite full on and VERY expensive, but he does have a book that basically tells you things that you can do to help anyway and what herbs you could take. Lots of b's and c's and minerals.
The thing I liked about it was that it was also about the emotional side of stuff as well so looked at all the things that might be draining you, not just nutritionally. I was working with a counsellor about a lot of stuff that went on when I had my child and I thought that it was good to cover all bases..
I can relate to the coffee. am pregnant and just cannot go the day without my morning hit. The way I figure it is that my daughter got caffeine when she was born for the apneas she had so I am just helping the next one if they are early..... (yeah right:)))
Hope this helps. I did find that it made me have a stack more energy!!
sezza

Postby cjd » Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:24 pm

I saw James Wilson's book online, but wasn't sure about it. I'll definitely check it out now. I've ordered my medical records. I want to see if the notes say how much blood I lost during my c-section. I didn't have to be transfused.

I drank coffee through my second pregnancy (cup in the a.m.) or I wouldn't have made it.

Are you still taking the herbs or are they off limits through pregnancy?

Good luck with the pregnancy!
CJ
cjd

Postby sezza » Tue Jun 29, 2010 06:48 pm

hey
am not taking the herbs any more. I did it as part of my preconception care.
I think that I felt like the naturopath kind of took advantage in the end with what she thought that I should take. Kind of just wished that I had got the book and sorted it from there. My niece went to a herbalist and got some chinese herbs for adrenal fatigue and they did not cost half as much and were quite effective, so i think there are many ways to tackle adrenal fatigue. worth it though. I did find the book worth it. It takes you through it pretty comprehensively.
Am 26 weeks so am starting to get pretty nervous. am trying to keep healthy which I find is easier said than done.... hence the morning coffee!!!!!
sezza

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders