HELLP worse second time around

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

HELLP worse second time around

Postby brismom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 09:46 am

Who has experienced HELLP in both pregnancies with the second bout being worse than the first? I know it's rare but just curious. Still grasping at straws at this point......
brismom

Re : HELLP worse second time around

Postby anonpreemiemom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 01:17 pm

I've only met one person who had HELLP worse the 2nd time around. She unfortunately had it at 24 weeks with both pregnancies and lost both children. Generally the other stories the past 5 years have been more positive - the pre-e hits later and the baby is delivered before it escalates to HELLP. But as you know every case is different.
anonpreemiemom

Postby brismom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 01:32 pm

Sounds promising! So, if I had it post-partum is that even better news. How much later could it occur?
brismom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 03:59 pm

No, having it post-partum or pre-partum both are bad. In fact I believe more of the complications hit postpartum rather than before the baby is delivered. Sorry did I say something to make you think post-partum was safer?? I dont think it affects recurrence rates whether it is pre or post. Recurrence risk is most significantly based on gestation you had it at the first time.

Anyway my HELLP hit post-partum and was bad, very bad. Liver enzymes in around 3,000? ICU for 3 days. Platelets down to 27K

On a positive note the general recurrence rate for HELLP based on most studies is much lower than the general recurrence rate for preeclampsia! (Recurrence rate for HELLP averages around 5-10% according to study while preeclampsia recurrence rate ranges from 20% to as high as 60% depending on risk factors and gestation it occured at)
anonpreemiemom

Postby brismom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 04:11 pm

I actually heard HELLP is worse when it is post partum. I guess what I meant is that they say it occurs later (usually) with subsequent pregnancies so if it occured post partum how much later gestation could it get? I think I'd be more concerned if it occured early in my pregnancy. Correct? Wow. Even though mine was postpartum my platelets and liver enzymes weren't too bad. However, my blood pressure was high and took a while to stabilize. I think I spent 3 weeks on my left side.
brismom

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders