HeLLP/Pre E/Eclampsia connection

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
jennashell

Re : HeLLP/Pre E/Eclampsia connection

Postby jennashell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 08:24 am

AH! Okay, thanks for the lovenox info, I'll be sure to ask about it.

danielsmom

Postby danielsmom » Tue Jul 13, 2010 02:16 am

Lovenox (or the generic heparin) is an injection used to thin blood. Many times if a woman has a pregnancy history with pre-e, eclampsia, HELLP, or even miscarriages, the OB will recommend thinners as a prevention from the beginning of subsequent pregnancies until near delivery. It can depend on if you have a diagnosed clotting disorder, but I know plenty of women who have used this treatment for unexplained miscarriages.

Whether it works is debatable. It's hard to do studies on pregnant women for ethical and practical reasons. Most pregnant women object to being guinea pigs. My doctor said if he could clone women, so they'd have the same genetic & environmental factors, and let one woman go with treatment and one go without, the results would be more reliable. But in the absense of having that ability (or wanting to), we suggest blood thinners because we *think* they might work.

jennashell

Postby jennashell » Mon Jul 12, 2010 06:43 am

They couldn't plan any of my c sections, so that my be why they haven't used thinners. I'll have to ask about lovenox, I'm not sure what that is.

danielsmom

Postby danielsmom » Sun Jul 11, 2010 09:03 pm

For a planned C section, they'd take you off blood thinners a day or so beforehand. But as you know, sometimes C sections are emergent, so if you were on blood thinners at that time, they would put you under with general anethesia.

With mine, they said the lovenox wasn't as much a problem as the baby asprin was, which kind of surprised me.

jennashell

Postby jennashell » Sun Jul 11, 2010 07:29 am

no blood thinners. Would blood thinners cause a problem with c-sections?

danielsmom

Postby danielsmom » Sun Jul 11, 2010 01:09 am

jennashell - Were you put on any blood thinners or anything with baby #2? Sometimes even if something doesn't show up in blood work, they'll put mom on profylactic heparin or lovenox to assist blood flow.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 07:03 pm

You're entirely welcome!

jennashell

Postby jennashell » Fri Jul 09, 2010 08:10 pm

Thanks so much for all the info!!!!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 06:51 pm

I'm not sure if there's a connection specifically to the umbillical cord, but I would think that's totally reasonable, since it's pretty much part of the placenta.

Researchers are still looking at exercise as a therapy -- whether or not getting more exercise before pregnancy, or a certain kind in pregnancy, would help change that immune response at all -- so I'd clear any sort of exercise that you might want to do with your docs. I was walking 4+ miles a day during my PE pregnancy so it wasn't a magic bullet, but any therapies can work just on some people and not on others (which is why it takes so long to figure out whether or not things generally work or not!)

jennashell

Postby jennashell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 07:30 pm

Hmm, this makes sense With baby #1, the umbilical cord had dissintegrated. With baby #2 it was really tiny-could that be related? Does excersice help with blood flow? Thanks so much for the info.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”