Contraceptive methods after HELLP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Contraceptive methods after HELLP

Postby isacauss » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Hi, I'm new here and I have questions about contraceptive methods after having had HELLP syndrome. (Sorry for my English, it's not my first langage)

In October 2008, I gave birth to my first son at 34 weeks because of HELLP syndrome. In August 2009, my doctor told me that it was not safe to take a contraceptive pill after having had this syndrome, so I took her advice to put a Mirena sterilet.

Now, it has been 11 months since I got the sterilet, and I am starting to have unpleasant side effects (which I can't be sure they come from the sterilet, but after reading on some forums, I would not be the only one...) such as hair loss, mood swings, and so on. So now I am thinking about getting rid of the sterilet.

Before being pregnant with Adam, I took a contraceptive pill for about 10 years with no problem. Have your doctor also told you that you can not take a contraceptive pill after HELLP? And if so, what other options would be appropriate, considering I would like to start trying for a second baby in about 6 months?

Thank you!
isacauss

Re : Contraceptive methods after HELLP

Postby kbielec » Thu Jul 22, 2010 09:06 am

I was advised to NOT take a pill because I have a blood clotting disorder and the pill could enhance my chances of getting a clot - having said that, they found one for me to take that was a low dose...
kbielec

Postby caryn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 am

My doctors have told me the same thing. They did not recommend the Mirena or the Nuvaring or implants because they were also hormonal methods. So my options were the copper IUD, barrier methods like condoms, or sterilization.

Since you want to try for another baby in just a few months, barrier methods are probably your best option. The copper IUD is supposed to last for ten years.

Your written English is better than a good 70% of college freshmen here, and they are mostly native speakers!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jend01 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 01:51 pm

My docs all said the same thing to me about hormonal contraceptives. I had used the pill for years before I got married and then we switched to just condoms until we were trying for a baby. Now that we have our son we are back to condoms again because I think we may try for one more. After that we have discussed getting my tubes tied or DH getting a vasectomy.
jend01

Postby tree » Thu Jul 22, 2010 03:30 pm

My doctor did not have any concerns about me going back on the pill after HELLP. Can you ask your doctor if there is a specific reason that they took you off of the pill? I could understand if you have a clotting disorder or some other condition that suggests the pill would be dangerous for you. Mine may be poorly informed, but she was more than happy to put me back on it.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 07:31 pm

one of the side effects of the pill can be blood clots- so anyone that has any issues with that should not be on it. I too was on the pill for over 10 years with no issues, but once I had HELLP, even though I have not tested positive for blood disorders, my doctor was not willing to take chance with putting me back on it again. We used condoms since I wasn't sure if we were going to have any more. After this baby is born, my husband is getting snipped, so I do not have to worry about it.
jenmatt1

Postby isacauss » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Thank you for your answers! I think the best thing for me to do is get rid of Mirena, and then speak again with my doctor to see what are my best options, considering my situation (I don't know if I am at risk for blood clotting...)
And thanks Caryn for encouraging my efforts ;)
isacauss

Postby riehlism » Mon Jul 26, 2010 01:25 am

My friend is an OB and she suggested Mirena. But I don't really feel comfortable with something implanted in there. My OB temporarily put me on Jolivette, which is a progestin-based oral contraceptive. Progesterone only pills (POPs) are said to be ok for people with blood clotting disorders, although I don't think there's a lot of research which is why OBs tend to be leery of any hormonal birth controls. But that's probably why they recommend Mirena for us as it is progesterone-based. I'm personally gonna stick with Jolivette for a while. Good luck at the doctor's office.
riehlism

Postby alexa5 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 am

I was on the pill for 15 years until we TTC. Once I had my baby, my doc would not let me go back on the pill as since I had pre-e, it exposed my risk for potential cardiac issues. I think that is what it really comes down to...even if you think you are fine, were fine, and nothing seems wrong after pregnancy, the research shows that those that have had pre-e or HELLP are at greater risk for cardiac issues. Clots and strokes are a huge concern with most hormonal birth control, so it really makes sense that most docs discourage their use in certain situations.

I was REALLY upset at first, even though I understood his point. But now I am really happy to not be on hormones, so condoms are just fine. I was on the progesterone only pill for about a month, but I really disliked it because of various side effects, plus it is only effective if literally taken at the same time each day...it is not like the estrogen pill in that you can miss it by a few hours or the occasional day.
alexa5

Postby atvlady » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:20 pm

My OB told me to never take BC again. We use the non-hormonal vaginal cream. So far one year PP I haven't gotten pregnant yet using it.
atvlady

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders