Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Fatigue, now easy bruising

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Fatigue, now easy bruising

Postby milesymommy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 04:26 pm

by milesymommy (336 Posts), Sat Jul 31, 2010 04:26 pm

Sorry, long story. I developed HELLP with DS1 in 2007. I did not develop it with DS2 in 2009. I know they tested and tested due to my history, but thankfully the only thing wrong was PIH and mild anemia. During my pregnancy, I was tired. Blamed it on being pregnant. After pregnancy, I was tired, blamed it on taking care of 2 small kids. 11 months later, I am still tired. I've been blaming it on being a working mom with 2 kids, not the greatest diet, and not exercising regularly. I just took a nap wih the boys and am still tired at 4 in the afternoon. And now I am bruising easily. I noticed it a couple months ago, but today my husband pointed out a huge bruise on the back of my arm. Like baseball size big. Dark purple. And I have no idea how I got it. So looking online, it seems it could be decreased liver function. Time to make a doctors appointment... ugh. But I hope they find something because I am really tired of being tired.
Anyone else have the issues?
milesymommy

Re : Fatigue, now easy bruising

Postby tree » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:28 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:28 pm

I associate fatigue and bruising with anemia, and it sounds like a good idea to get fully checked soon. Suddenly starting to bruise easily means that something is definitely up.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby jenmatt1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 01:18 pm

by jenmatt1 (566 Posts), Mon Aug 02, 2010 01:18 pm

Have your thryroid function tested as well. Because of a lump on my thryroid, I got mine tested regularly during pregnancy and after and I found my thryroid function varied, especially after pregancy. I never had to go on medication but my endocrinologist did put me on Vitamin D pills- which helps tremendously with my tiredness.

Also after HELLP it took me a good year to feel like myself again. I think the disease knocks the * out of you too- which probably doesn't help. I had lots of bruising after HELLP too. All over my body. I was getting bruises in places that were weird and didn't seem like I had bumped any place. That was because even though I had 2 blood platelet transfusions after my c-section my platelet counts were still low. Doctor watched my platelet counts for a little while until they were back up. I would have your doc check these as well.

Now that I am pregnant again, I am taking low dose aspirin and I notice that bruising has come back- doctor said that was a side effect of some medications- you should check with dr about any meds too that you are taking.
jenmatt1

Postby atvlady » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:28 pm

by atvlady (1000 Posts), Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Have you seen a Hematologist? You should be tested for types of Anemia, more specificaly a COOMBS test. I had similar symptoms and found out I have AIHA.
atvlady

Postby missgamecock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 00:47 am

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Sun Aug 22, 2010 00:47 am

Have an immunology panel. Same thing happened to me after Cate. Except I ended up with severe pe postpartum with her. Had mild PE when the decision to deliver was made. Anyway, I was exhausted, bruising, mouth sores, etc. There is some auto immune issue going on.
missgamecock

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders