HELLP Questions

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
rgrwife

Re : HELLP Questions

Postby rgrwife » Wed Aug 25, 2010 07:18 pm

Thanks Jennifer and Delissa!

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Low plateletes means you will bleed freely and may need a blood transfusion. Elevated liver enzymes can cause your liver to rupture. Hemolysis is the drestruction of red blood cells. I stil have slight liver pains still with no known cause nor before HELLP did I have any trouble with my liver what so ever. As far as the sweating and hot flashes, I never had any of that PP, only when I was pregnant,

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 04:49 pm

make sure you find time for youself too Laura. It is not easy having a toddler and a new baby after all you have been through.

rgrwife

Postby rgrwife » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm feeling a little better each day. I think I'm just a little overwhelmed by the whole experience. I'm still getting the hot flashes and chills, it seems to be worse at night. Between getting up with the baby and waking up covered in sweat, I haven't slept much! Hopefully that will get better soon. Thanks everyone for your responses. :)

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:15 am

I think that the hot flashes are normal, and the excessive sweating is just one more way to get rid of the excess fluid. I remember the nurses telling me that would happen, and it did. It wasn't fun, but it is normal. I thought the chills were weird
rgrwife - how are you feeling? I hope you are starting to feel a little better.

brismom

Postby brismom » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:45 pm

I read in one post about the excessive sweating. I had the sweats for about 2 months post partum really bad. I was told it was the hormonal shift but honestly no one I knew ever had them that bad and that long. I began to wonder if that was something also related to my HELLP. I mean my clothes would be drenched every night. Strange...

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 09:49 pm

I agree about the screening test- although I don't think the questions really applied to how I was feeling. But I do wish someone would have really listened to my feelings. It was like going through a near death experience where everything looked so different at the end. I just wanted to hug and kiss my daughter and be with her all the time.

My ob that delivered my daughter was great but we were in the middle of moving to another state and so my 6 week checkup was actually with another ob in the new state- when I told her I was not ready to go back to work and the way I felt that I needed to protect my daughter, she pretty much blew me off. Personally I only took off 8 weeks from work and that was not enough for me to recover and feel anywhat normal. This time I have planned to give myself more time to recuperate.

jenprzygoda

Postby jenprzygoda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 08:25 pm

I would sweat and then get chills, then start sweating again. They told me that the sweating was part of my body getting rid of all the extra water from the swelling. I do know that in a "normal" pregnancy many women have "temperature" issues as their hormones readjust. I am wondering if this is magnified for some reason in women like us? Family and friends said that I was getting hot flashes and sweats a lot more than they or anyone they know did. I also second what Teresa had to say about the depression screen. I can say that I was honest with it, but the questions did not reflect the feeling I was having and my feelings really didn't come out until a few months after my son was born. The screening was too soon for me as I don't think my brain had even processed what had just happened to me when I went for my 6 week check. Be sure to ask about some of the signs of post partum depression in the event that it creeps up later on.

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Thu Aug 05, 2010 04:08 pm

My experience was similar to what both Jennifers have described. I really started feeling good again in May/June of this year.
I remember the hot flashes and the chills too. I don't think they every gave me an answer on that. I was not on BP meds. It did go away relatively quickly. Please post an answer if you get one.
I hope your appointment goes well. I found out that I had retained placental fragments at my checkup, and I felt MUCH better after they came out. You might want to ask about that if you are still bleeding and feel really bad. Otherwise, bring a list of your symptoms and make sure they are all "normal". Be honest in the depression screen. I wasn't, and I managed without help, but I feel pretty stupid about it now.

rgrwife

Postby rgrwife » Thu Aug 05, 2010 02:01 pm

How did you all feel after HELLP? I keep getting hot flashes and then chills all day long. I don't know if it's from my bp meds or what.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”