How do you know if it is HELLP?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

How do you know if it is HELLP?

Postby karenvh » Wed Jun 23, 2004 07:29 am

Hello all - I hope someone out there can help.
I'm not sure if I have HELLP or not, but I have had at least 5 episodes now of acute pain in my upper abdomen, right below my sternum. I am now 26 weeks pg, and have already had to undergo an emergency appendectomy at 22 weeks. The pains actually started before that, and then again the night the appendicitis happened. I thought they would go away after the appendectomy.
This is my 3rd pregnancy, and I had heartburn with the other two, but nothing like this. The pain always comes at night, around 10:30, and I have always been able to attribute it to a very late dinner, or late snack, or something, but last night it was none of those things. Last night it only lasted for about 1/2 hour, but the time before that (only last Friday), it went on for 3 hours. I can't sit, can't lay down, I do feel nauseous, clammy, shaky, and the pain just exhausts me. Even today, after a "mild" episode, my upper abdomen is sore and I feel "out of it". Not hungry, and weak.
I will probably call my doctor today, but am feeling like this pregnancy has forced me to call her for so many things - I am dreading yet another call and more tests.
Hope someone can offer some advice -
thanks,
Karen
karenvh

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders