2nd opinion

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

2nd opinion

Postby preemomof2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 07:04 pm

Today I went to see a new doctor..(it was about time) He looks and sounds very understanding. He has some experience with HELLP syndrome and PE, and is willing to work with a Peri in case of a second pregnancy. He wants to run some blood work for underlying conditions and we went through a plan action ( or what he would do during my pregnancy. he said he does not like to risk situations as much as my previous doctor did and that he would keep a close eye on me. WOW what a differnece it makes to have someone that is willing to communicate and be proactive. He even said that communication between me and him was very important. I'm just ecstatic! I know the chance of repeating HELLP will always be there but if it hits me again i'll be prepared and so will be my doctor. For now i gotta loose some weight and he recommended me to wait till my daughter turns 2 to get pregnant again.
He was so concerned that he even asked how my daughter was when she was born and how she was doing now adays. I'm just so RELIEVED!
preemomof2

Re : 2nd opinion

Postby kbielec » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:20 am

That is great news. Sometimes a new doctor and that comfort can make a HUGE difference. If I may ask, what kind of "plan" did he suggest? Just curious as I have a plan too and wonder if they are similar!
kbielec

Postby preemomof2 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 03:24 pm

quote:
Originally posted by kbielec

That is great news. Sometimes a new doctor and that comfort can make a HUGE difference. If I may ask, what kind of "plan" did he suggest? Just curious as I have a plan too and wonder if they are similar!

Hello kbielec, sorry don't know your name. First, I'm sorry for the loss of your angel.
Well we have sort of a plan. he wants to see if i don't have any underlying conditions first, but he basically told me that if i get pregnant my cbc's will be done more constantly to check any abnormalities, and after 30 weeks he will schedule appts to be more often. he also wants us to keep very communicated and for me to tell him anything i feel that is not normal with my body.
So basically he's willing to work with me and listen to me and my concerns. One thing he said is that with my first pregnancy I didn't know what hellp or PE was, but that with a next pregnancy we'll both know what to expect.
preemomof2

Postby riehlism » Fri Aug 27, 2010 06:43 pm

Sounds like you have a great doctor who communicates well. Has he discussed baby aspirin or other medications for this pregnancy. I don't think I saw that in the plan of care. He maybe saving that for another visit. I'm now so curious about what other health care providers are recommending and seeing how it matches (or doesn't match) to what my health care team is doing.

My OB and MFM want me on baby aspirin before and during pregnancy. My MFM said Lovenox, if needed. My OB felt more comfortable with Lovenox, but says he will defer the final decision to my MFM. There is no real concrete evidence (research-wise, that is) that Lovenox helps in PE so some doctors are less inclinced to prescribe it. Others are more open to it hoping it will help.

Any hoot, welcome to the Forums. I'm sure you'll find lots of information here. I sure have.

riehlism

Postby preemomof2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 09:52 am

we didn't discuss baby aspirin or any other treatment, i'll ask him next visit. he said he will set up my appts at a time where there's not many patients so he can have enough time for me. i guess he wants to see if i have a clotting disorder first.
We went over my records and he mentioned I had a very atypical preeclampsia, but my problems started at 35 weeks, so he thinks if PE and HELLP strike again it'll be around that time.
I read your story about baby blue...I'm so sorry for your loss.

preemomof2

Postby evancaleb10 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 01:51 am

Gabriel, welcome to the forum as I too am new to the forum. I'm happy for you that you've found what seems to be a great doctor whose understanding. Did he explain why he wanted you to wait until your daughter was 2? Just curious. Thanks, Esther

Jasmin, Sorry about Baby blue. I too recently loss my angel, Evan, 6 weeks ago due to HELLP (class III) at 33 weeks. I was wondering what your health care team was telling you about risk of recurrence and how long before trying again. Thanks, Esther
evancaleb10

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders