Post Reply FAQ Members Login

platelets question

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

platelets question

Postby rgrwife » Wed Aug 25, 2010 08:11 pm

by rgrwife (76 Posts), Wed Aug 25, 2010 08:11 pm

The normal range for blood platelets is 150-450 (thousand). I was discharged from the hospital when my platelet count was 97 (after several rounds of steriods). The doctor said it was close enough. So do platelets continue to increase on their own after HELLP? If so, how long does it usually take them to get back to normal? Should I get blood tests at my next appointment, or do the doctors assume everything is back to normal?
rgrwife

Re : platelets question

Postby kara » Wed Aug 25, 2010 08:44 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Wed Aug 25, 2010 08:44 pm

I assume they were on the rise after delivery and the doc saw enough of an increase to be satisfied that they would continue to go up. You could call in and ask, or request a blood draw. I'd want to know!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby jenprzygoda » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm

by jenprzygoda (103 Posts), Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm

As a HELLP survivor I have started donating platelets -it is almost like therapy for me since I feel like I am actually doing something to help others who were in my situation. When donating you can donate a single every 3 day or a double every 7 days since they regenerate so quickly. I don't know if that helps at all, but that is the situation in a "healthy, non PE" body. I am not sure how long it takes to bring platelet counts back up, but I do remember that after my 3 platelet transfusions my levels started going up on their own. I would agree on a blood test as a great way to check up on things. My OB did blood work after 6 weeks to check for platelets and liver enzymes. She also had me go to my primary doctor and have more blood tests done at 6 months just to check on platelets and liver function. On a side note, when I go to donate platelets they check my levels and I LOVE hearing my numbers so "high". When I went yesterday, my platelets were 244,000 and the smile was plastered on my face. It is go wonderful to know that it does get better!!!
jenprzygoda

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 07:01 am

by jenmatt1 (566 Posts), Thu Aug 26, 2010 07:01 am

My platelets when I went in with HELLP were about 50, by time I delivered they were at 30K and falling after the emergency c-section. So I had 2 platelet transfusions too. But even with those, mine weren't up in the normal ranges by time I left hospital but they tested me afterwards to make sure they were going up on their own. I too had it tested at 6 weeks and about 4 months after delivery to make sure it was normal. For me, even after 1st transfusion, I still wasn't feeling well and had bruising all over my body, so that is why they decided to do second transfusion. Once that 2nd one happened, I finally started feeling better. So in addition to testing at normal intervals, make sure you tell your doc if you are not feeling well or bruising easily a few weeks out.
jenmatt1

Postby rgrwife » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:01 am

by rgrwife (76 Posts), Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:01 am

I'm relieved to hear that everything returns to normal! It's amazing HELLP doesn't really cause permanent damage to most women. I've been feeling so fatigued, so I'm thinking that I'm still not quite back to normal. Or it could just be normal new mom fatigue or a combination of both.
rgrwife

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:33 pm

by jenmatt1 (566 Posts), Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:33 pm

Laura- taking vitamin D at the suggestion of my endocrinologist seemed to help. I think part of it is normally mommyhood, but I also think it takes your body a while to get back to normal. For me, taking a vitamin D supplement and daily vitamin helped. But I will warn you that even though my labs were fine, it took my body a good year to recover from the HELLP.
jenmatt1

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders