HELLP and epidural.

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
missgamecock

Re : HELLP and epidural.

Postby missgamecock » Wed Sep 15, 2010 04:12 pm

I was told that I HAD to have an epidural before they started labor. I was more than happy with that (got the shock of my life when my epi didn't work with Sara, hated that!). I had partial hellp. Meaning my liver enzymes were whacked and my blood wasn't clotting right, but my platelets were ok. Go figure that one.

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:51 am

I had to go through general anesthesia. My platelets were at 22.000 when i went into surgery, they told me an epidural could just lead to me bleeding to death. I have heard that drs prefer platelets to be at 100.000 for any surgery.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:38 pm

I can tell you my last experience I had HELLP and had an epi...but my platelets were 120...so not too bad...but I have to say my BP never went down like some people say theirs did...mine was still skkkyy high!

angieb

Postby angieb » Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:30 pm

I had an epidural with HELLP, but if I wasn't having a c-section I'm not sure if they would have let me, though my levels at the time must have been slightly over 100,000 probably.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Tue Sep 14, 2010 08:51 pm

Thanks everyone.

sathede I have had to wait til my health was optimal for another pregnancy and 15 months PP it is finally there. From what I can tell a good bit doesn't tempt fate again but the others usualy about a year after all underlying tests' are done.

sathede

Postby sathede » Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:30 am

I underwent an emergency C-section with general anesthesia due to HELLP. Platelet levels dropped to 54k so epidural was not an option. I had been hospitalized for 6 days on bedrest and was being closely monitored for PIH and proteinuria. My platelet levels dropped fast as my BP and liver enzymes also elevated at rapid rate. We would like to have more chidren but I was cautioned to wait for at least 2 years. How long have others waited to TTC after a HELLP pregnancy?

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:39 am

I was able to have an epidural with both preganacie - first w/ PE/HELLP, second only PIH.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 am

my understanding is that some will not give an epidural if under 100K, others will give it in the 65K-70K range. My anestesiologist re-ran labs because the 65K number was a few hours old and it was on the border for what he felt comfortable with. The 2nd labs were lower so he would not do it because he said you could bleed out and have further complications during the pregnancy. At that point, I thought I was still going to be induced- just no epidural- but then things changed for the worst. Kind of glad though. My hubby was in another state for work and not there yet. Not sure I could have gone through that by myself considering everyone kept on saying how sick I already was. I think this is just one of those things you have to prepare for all options for.

sezza

Postby sezza » Wed Sep 01, 2010 02:10 am

i had a general anesthetic with my first child as they were not worried about my platelet levels but were worried that something might happen and they would not have time to then give me a general if i had had a spinal. in saying that my platelet levels were really low when i presented so there was no way that i was going to be induced.
for this pregnancy i am just going to see what happens. we are at 35 weeks so far. am hoping for a vbac as they are so much safer than repeat csection so hopefully health will stay good. if we did have to have a csection though i would rather have a spinal. feels like i missed such a big moment of my life by being asleep!!

amandaoasis

Postby amandaoasis » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:48 pm

I think it really depends on what your platelet levels are. Mine were 117,000 when they induced. I was able to have the epidural without any complications. If they catch the HELLP early enough and your platelet levels are not plummeting, I think they will let you have one.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”