by jenmatt1 (566 Posts), Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:10 pm
I had same issue. The anestesiologist came in to talk to me. When I first went to hospital my platelet count was about 65K- which I guess is right on border. Within 2 hours it was 50K so they would not give it to me and they were going to induce me. At that point, my daughter's heart started racing in utero (probably because she sensed my panic) and they decided to do an emergency c-section. By time I was finished with delivery my platelets were about 30K and I had to have 2 platelet transfusions.
I have discussed this all with my doctor for this current pregnancy. I have decided to have c-section. For me the risks of vbac were not worth it. She said they would test my platelets and if low, they would need to put me under anestesia than the epidural. I am actually ok with that. I'd rather not take any chances with this pregnancy. I am also scheduling c-section for 37 weeks and not going beyond that point. My doc is ok with that plan for now, although she said we'll talk more as we get into the 3rd trimester. My hope is that I make it there to that point in this pregnancy, before HELLP or PE comes on.