Recently survived HELLP, baby in NICU

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Recently survived HELLP, baby in NICU

Postby JScruggs19 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 05:03 am

Hey everyone. I gave birth to my first baby last Friday at 31 weeks 6 days. I was diagnosed with HELLP after going to the ER with severe chest pains. I had a vague idea of what pre-eclampsia was before going to the hospital, but did not associate chest pain with it at all and I had never heard of HELLP. Looking back, I feel like I would have been able to process the whole situation much better had someone let me know about the illness. There I was, in the hospital being told that my liver enzymes were elevated and that they were going to have to induce me and I could barely wrap my head around it. Fortunately for this site, I ended up understanding my situation much better after my mother-in-law found this site and was able to ask some questions while I was in the hospital. It was very helpful, and I thank everyone for providing her with information.

Anyways, my baby is doing quite well for a baby born so early. He will be in the NICU for a while, but I am just thankful that he and I both made it out alive. I just still feel like I am in a daze. It happened so fast. There I was having a healthy normal pregnancy, and then BAM- not only am I not pregnant anymore, but my baby isn't home with me. For anyone who has experienced something similar, what were ways that you were able to cope with the whole situation? I am very thankful that my baby and I are both on the road to recovery, but sometimes I still can't help but feel somewhat guilty although I know there was nothing I could do about it.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”