I have seen my nephrologist. Basically all my doctors say they will be ready if we decide to go ahead and TTC. They are not necessarily giving me the green light but they are not completely against it. I think they realize that we have been waiting to adopt for 3 years and are understanding that we may be willing to take the risk. They obviously know that it is my decision and they are just making sure I know their concerns.
I need to talk to my nephrologist and MFM more about the test results to better understand what it means to be 5G/5G.
My husband is not thrilled that I would need to give myself injections for most of the pregnancy. Somehow I'll manage. I'm a veterinarian who uses needles daily on dogs and cats, but I'm not too great with them when they are being used on me.
Adoption....where to start...
We are on a waiting list for domestic open adoption. Right now we are #2 on the list (we've been on the list for over 2 years) which unfortunately doesn't mean much. At the time when we were put on the list the average wait time for a match was 8 months and no longer than 18 months. A match means that a birthmother selects us to be the adoptive parents, but she is allowed to change her mind anytime including after the birth. Our profile has been showed many times but so far the birthmothers haven't picked us. We just don't seem to have that "thing" that they want. More of the issue recently, is that they are working with many more African American mothers and we have decided that we are not comfortable adopting an African American baby. So, if you are open to adopting biracial or african american newborns, you will have a faster placement. We stayed with domestic adoption because we prefer to adopt an infant. That may have to change...
International adoption seems to have become more difficult also. Some countries have closed their doors to adoption. It has gone from 2 years wait to adopt a child from China to about a 4 to 5 year wait.
We briefly considered surrogacy but it would end up being much more expensive since you can go through several IVF cycles before it takes. At that time the doctor was concerned that my kidneys would be affected by the drugs needed to donate eggs.
Hope that helps! Sarah
Mother to Nathanael James born still 12/31/2006 at 38 weeks. Class I HELLP sydrome, placental abruption, acute kidney failure.
Expecting again-due date August 16, 2013 (Folic Acid, LDA, Prenatal vitamins, BP meds, Vitamin D)