Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Atypical HELLP Syndrome

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: Atypical HELLP Syndrome

Postby kmb1419 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:25 pm

by kmb1419 (33 Posts), Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:25 pm

I am sorry for your loss too.
I never showed any signs either. Blood pressure and urine were always fine, until I went into labor. The only sign I had was the horrible pain in the upper quadrant.

Kristin, I too was told that the baby must be pushing on my ribs or the pain was from my uterus expanding.
kmb1419

Re: Atypical HELLP Syndrome

Postby flori » Sun Apr 17, 2011 03:37 am

by flori (225 Posts), Sun Apr 17, 2011 03:37 am

Hi Mouschin. I'm so sorry about your loss of Ava. I am new here as well, but have found the site to be a great resource. I wish you and your husband peace in this awful journey. It is a terrible place to be, I know from experience but you are definitely in the right place for support.

I had atypical HELLP syndrome as well. My peri actually said it wasn't "full-blown HELLP" when I asked him about it at my postpartum appointment. I was also diagnosed as having severe preeclampsia due to the proteinuria, IUGR, and high bp (which I wonder about because I was chronic hypertensive before pregnancy and I thought it was controlled).

I had my first bout of what I thought was the HELLP abdominal pain at 22w3d, although that particular time may have just been gallbladder pain- an ultrasound showed the presence of a large stone, but I believe my liver labs came back normal because I was released without any discussion of HELLP developing. The docs neither confirmed that it was gallbladder issues or not. The doc on duty actually told me that sometimes pregnant women get pain that can't be identified. Anyway, it lasted only a few hours and subsided after an IV drip with pain meds. On 23w6d my peri ordered labs to check my liver and they were normal. During my entire 24th week I had the pain almost daily, although it was less severe, so I figured it was just heartburn or more gallbladder pain. I spent that weekend pain free but got the pain again on Monday night. I let my husband take me to L&D (thought I'd just spend a night in triage again) but the next morning they told me they had to take my daughter because of the condition of my liver. It scares me to think that in ONE day my condition deteriorated to the point that my daughter had to be delivered. :(
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Previous

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders