How long did it take your bp to go to back to normal?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: How long did it take your bp to go to back to normal?

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 09:28 pm

It is. When it takes more than about 6-8 weeks to drop, that's considered the "unmasking" of your genetic tendency towards chronic hypertension. Mine took 3-4 months to drop to normal levels postpartum. At my 6 week check, I was still running 140/90 on meds. So I'm a chronic, even though my pressures are reliably 110/70 now.

It often takes your body a while to repair all of the damage to your vasculature postpartum, especially when the damage has been significant.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

Nadenet1229

How long did it take your bp to go to back to normal?

Postby Nadenet1229 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:31 pm

I am just wondering how long it took for other's bp to go down to normal levels after PE. I had PE and severe HELLP and now I'm measuring high. Even with the meds my bp reads about 137/95, which wasn't normal before the PE and HELLP. I'm wondering if I will have to stay on bp meds now, or if it may go down. I spoke to a few women before who said it took about two months to go to normal for them and they were taken off meds. I'm just wondering if this is a common occurrence.
Mother to Joseph Lovelace Touchet Jr born on 5/11/11 at 22 weeks due to Preeclampsia and HELLP. Born straight into God's arms. Love you my angel.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”