How did you 2nd pregnancy turn out after HELLP go?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

How did you 2nd pregnancy turn out after HELLP go?

Postby ktsl123 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Just curious if anyone had and 2nd pregnancy experiences they wanted to tell after having HELLP.
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09
ktsl123

Re: How did you 2nd pregnancy turn out after HELLP go?

Postby blythe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Hey ktsl123, I'm surprised we haven't had more chime in on your question! I didn't have HELLP but I always remember Catherine's experience. She had HELLP in her second pregnancy (DIC, dialysis, the works) and even though her third pregnancy was hard emotionally, she sailed through health-wise.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Postby kbielec » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am

I am currently in my second pregnancy, first one after HELLP and although I am very early into it I am certainly praying hard everyday that I don't get HELLP again. I am hoping to bring home a beautiful bundle of joy this time around. I'll keep you posted as I go along. :)
Mom to Annabelle born at 26 weeks due to HELLP (2008) I found out I had Factor V and MTHFR after delivery.
(12/2011) miscarriage, twin boys 8 weeks, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
(02/2012) Pregnant - praying for beautiful take home baby due Nov. 3, 2012, on LDA, Folbate, Lovenox
kbielec

Postby michelarea » Fri Nov 18, 2011 02:01 pm

Hi! I had class II Hellp at 32+3 weeks with my first daughter Viola, thankfully I recovered pretty fast and Viola is very healthy now (she spent 5 weeks in the NICU after birth with several temporary preemie issues). 15 months later I got pregnant with my second daughter Maddalena and had a fairly good pregnancy, Maddalena was delivered via c-section at 37+3 weeks, I have developed mild preeclampsia tha last 2-3 weeks and she was small (2.5 kg) but she doesn't need any NICU stay. Between the 2 pregnancies I was diagnosed with borderline lupus anticoagulant antibodies and I took baby aspirin and lovenox shots during my second pregnancy. I think, if you can, that closely spaced pregnancies is a key factor for success
michelarea

Postby clairerobi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:12 pm

I posted a lengthy post a few months ago after I had a successful 2nd pregnancy. After having an emergency c-section at 35 weeks with my first son and 16 days in the NICU for him, I was very scared to get pregnant again. I got pregnant a few months before my son's 3rd birthday. My 2nd pregnancy went very well - I had a c-section at 39 weeks and no preeclampsia or HELLP. I was watched very closely by my regular OB and MFM. I took a daily baby aspirin, extra folic acid and extra calcium. Prior to conceiving #2, I had a full blood panel done and I found out that I have a MTHRF mutation and I was also referred to a rheumatologist. He ran additional blood tests and I tested positive for SSA/anti-Ro which can be a marker for lupus. The rheumatologist did not think I had lupus but knowing that I carry that anti-Ro antibody, my MFM also did Level 2 ultrasounds every 2 weeks from wk 18-26 to make sure this antibody did not cross the placenta during the 2nd trimester and attack the developing fetus heart by causing heart block (very low heart rate and baby needs pacemaker at birth). This new risk definitely added another layer of anxiety to my fear of preeclampsia and HELLP occurring again. I was stressed the entire pregnancy!

I would highly recommend that you find a great MFM and OB and have several pre-conception conversations with them. My MFM gave me a 20% chance that HELLP would occur - thankfully it did not surface with my 2nd pregnancy. Hope this brings some sort of comfort to those of you considering to conceive again. Best wishes!
clairerobi

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders