do symptoms come and go?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
tree
Forum Moderator

Re: do symptoms come and go?

Postby tree » Mon Dec 05, 2011 08:40 pm

My symptoms did come and go, but they definitely got worse as time went along. I think that if you are worried enough to ask about HELLP, you should get checked out. There are a lot of us who thought it was the baby kicking, the flu, and general pregnancy crap for a lot longer than we should have. Hope you are feeling better!
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 07:47 pm

Symptoms can fluctuate but will always trend worse. I think of it as ongoing negotiations between the placenta and the maternal immune system, where sometimes they come to a temporary agreement for a cease-fire, and then things degrade.

If you're having symptoms, I'd get one of the real experts in L&D to run bloodwork, just to rule HELLP out.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

sarahkm

Postby sarahkm » Mon Dec 05, 2011 06:01 pm

Lee2011,
Congratulations! I experienced something very similar to you in Dec. 2006. Unfortunately our son was stillborn because of placental abruption. I too came very close to losing my life and went through acute kidney failure.

Now, almost 5 years later, I'm pregnant again and will be very closely monitored.

I hope you are feeling ok and that Lee is doing well!
Sarah
Sarah (43)
Mother to Nathanael James born still 12/31/2006 at 38 weeks. Class I HELLP sydrome, placental abruption, acute kidney failure.
Miscarriage 12/2011
Elias Nathanael born healthy 07/28/2013 at 37 weeks 2 days, 5#11oz. No signs of HELLP or preeclampsia! Tear noticed in placenta after delivery.
Expecting again (another boy!), due date 10/17/2015 but will be induced around September 25. No concerns at this time other than low iron. On low dose aspirin, iron infusions, vitamins, metoprolol, Vitamin D.

Lee2011

Postby Lee2011 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 08:46 am

Not sure I can help you much as I had very few symptoms, the only one (that we realised afterwards) was pain in the lefthand side under my ribcage (liver), this pain definitely came and went - I put it down to the baby moving!
Mother to baby boy Lee born 12/3/2011 after emergency induction at 38weeks following diagnosis of severe atypical HELLP syndrome. Having come within hours of losing both our lives every smile is a celebration.
Baby sister Paige c-sectioned at 38 weeks with no signs of HELLP :)

78kate

do symptoms come and go?

Postby 78kate » Fri Dec 02, 2011 07:28 am

SO do HELLP symptoms come and go or do they pretty much come and just get worse?

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”