Immune deficiency?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
Forum Moderator

Re: Immune deficiency?

Postby tree » Fri Feb 24, 2012 01:57 pm

I haven't heard of a link either, but I have had similar issues. I went 10 years without a sinus infection, then had 3 in the last couple of years. I get chest crud that requires steroids at least once a year now, and I've had shingles more times than I could count. I seem to be getting a little better, but not nearly back to pre-pregnancy immune system function. I might ask my doctor about this when I go in next time. I am pretty tired of having the crappy dysfunctional immune system.

I know that PE is linked to an overly active immune system. I wonder if it is linked to an overly active and totally ineffective immune system.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP

Forum Moderator

Re: Immune deficiency?

Postby alviarin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 am

Welcome back!

Very interesting thought about the immune deficiency, though I don't know if there is a link. As far as I know it is over-active maternal immune systems or incompatible immune systems ("dangerous partner" theory) that are thought to contribute to pre-e. Women with immune difficiency due to HIV infection have lower rates of preeclampsia.

I was sick a lot last year, so they tested my immoglobulin levels but everything came back normal. I had my tonsils out and sinus surgery last year too since I was sick of the re-occuring strep throat and sinus infections.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire ("mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Immune deficiency?

Postby jmom08 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:48 am

It has been a long time since I posted, but found out some new info about my health, and in case it is at all related to PE and might help others, I thought I should make a note! :)

I thought I remembered reading (and am pulling up a couple of posts on search) about testing for immune issues as a possible contributing factor for PE, and am wondering if others have been advised of a link. I just found out I have low numbers for IGG2 and IGG4, and have been referred to an immunologist.

My history -- prior to my pregnancies, I frequently needed antibiotics to get over colds -- over half the time turned into sinus infections and/or chest infections. During my pregnancies and breastfeeding, I had a couple of mild colds but *no* sinus infections. Between pregnancies, I had two years of pretty much solid z-packs/medrol packs prescribed by an ENT, and a normal CT sinus scan. After I finishing breastfeeding approx 7 months ago, the colds started again and have had infections (or one long infection) ever since, and now have a yucky CT sinus scan and recommendation for surgery. The second ENT I saw suggested testing antibodies, so I guess now I know why I always need antibiotics, but am wondering if there is a possible PE link.

For those who remember me, apologies for not being on more often... the boys keep me hopping (literally). I will look around for updates on everyone! I have thought about the ladies who had babies 2009-2010 and hope all of you are doing well (everyone else too of course, but appreciated sharing the journey during that time!). :)

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”