When will I feel normal after HELLP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: When will I feel normal after HELLP

Postby sam10 » Tue May 08, 2012 03:48 pm

My BP stabilized quickly and I was off my BP meds 3 weeks after giving birth. But as the others have said, this can vary quite a bit. The fear and anxiety have stayed with me for a long time, and I still have very anxious moments, especially when I feel ill in some way. Only slowly I realized what a traumatic event PE/HELLP is and how much it can affect a woman, her family and friends. I learned step by step to trust in life again and especially in my "bodily functions". I was scared my body would give in, and I would not wake up the next morning anymore. I could not be alone for quite some time after giving birth for fear of having a life threatening situation; but it has subsided. I had help to get to terms with what PE has done to me. I started seeing a therapist shortly after. It helped me a lot. Be gentle with yourself, give yourself time and try to find things/methods that help ease your fear. Feel free to post in the forums, there are a lot of women here who have gone through this and know how it all feels. Sending you some hugs:-)
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby AClore » Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 am

Its like i can step right into your body. I feel the exact same way. Im constantly on edge thinking my body will fail me and I will die one night or have a stroke from the bp. I know the odds are slim but my stupid brain wont let my thoughts rest. Its so annoying. I may have to see a therapist if i cant get these thoughts and emotions under control. I hate this
AClore

Postby tree » Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am

I also had to see a therapist to get my anxiety and stress levels under control after delivery. It worked miracles for me, and my only regret is that I didn't go much sooner. It is really hard when you think your body is going to give out on you again.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby AClore » Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 am

I would love to talk to someone. Right now I cant drive but hopefully i can soo. I really need to get this junk off my chest. About 5 years ago i struggled with anxiety and panic attacks but havent had any symptoms for years and now I feel like I am back to square one. It doesnt help the fact that every new little thing that i feel I am constantly worrying that its my bp and im going to have a seizure. I know I am not but getting my brain to believe that all the time is another story..i want my life back
AClore

Postby AClore » Tue May 15, 2012 05:45 pm

Got blood work done finally. My liver is back to normal, platelets are 392 which is awesome, no proteins in urine, still a bit anemic but not bad. Now waiting on bp to go back to normal:)
AClore

Postby tree » Wed May 16, 2012 08:14 pm

Congrats on your progressing recovery! It thought it got easier when I started to feel better. I had to stay on prenatal vitamins for a few months to deal with anemia, but that was no big deal. Are your BPs starting to trend down? How are you feeling?. I really hope things are getting better for you.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby AClore » Thu May 17, 2012 01:55 pm

My bp is still 130/70s but dr said its a good bp still. Im still on medicine for now but praying it gets better within the next few weeks. He said with my anxiety it may be causing elevated bp and something he called white coat syndrome..anxiousness at the drs office. Did you struggle with anciety too and if so are you better? I may have asked you that before and sorry if so. Im super excited to know that my liver and platelets are good and no threat there.
AClore

Postby tree » Sat May 19, 2012 11:26 am

You will find a lot of women with white coat syndrome if you post over in the "ask the experienced" forum. It gets more traffic than this one, and white coat hypertension is pretty common around here. I am glad that your liver and platelets are back to normal. It took a few months for mine to renormalize.
We all process the trauma from HELLP differently. I did not have anxiety like you describe, but I had a really hard time in other ways. We all go through our unique * after HELLP. Many of us have physical complications that prolong the experience, and that just makes it harder. We are here to let you know that we all get through it some how. I waited 18 months for counseling and meds, and I would do anything to have that time back. I was only on the meds for a very short time, but they provided the "reset" that I really needed to get over the whole experience. A few sessions with a counselor was similarly helpful.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby AClore » Sat May 19, 2012 07:57 pm

Did you breastfeed on meds? Thats been a struggle for me because i know i may need them but im breastfeeding and scared. The bp medicine is bad enough on me and feeling guilty. I am torn on what to do:(. I am going to see a counselor next week. Cant wait to get it off my chest..i absolutely hate feeling anxious all the time. Its getting better slowly. I have all these fears that i know are unrealistic but yet the thoughts wont.go away. Ugh
AClore

Postby tree » Sat May 19, 2012 09:03 pm

I was unable to breast feed my daughter because of all of the complications I had after her birth. That was the hardest and worst part of the whole experience for me. You will find many women on the boards who have breast fed on BP and other medications. There are several BP meds that are safe for breastfeeding. A good lactation consultant and/or OB can help you determine which other medications are safe. Our NICU nurses and pediatrician were also really helpful on that topic. There is no reason to feel guilty about taking medication you need while breastfeeding. You do the best you can with what you have, and not all of us are lucky enough to be perfectly healthy.
tree
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders