Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Anyone experience anhidrosis after HELLP?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Anyone experience anhidrosis after HELLP?

Postby ew211 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 04:27 pm

by ew211 (2 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2012 04:27 pm

I had HELLP back in 2000 with my son. Thought I had early labor with wicked pain under my right ribcage. Went into the hospital and found I was having contractions and I had a very high bp. I was transferred to a hospital with a NICU and then learned I had HELLP. My son was delivered and is a healthy almost 12 year old now. However over the past 12 years I have developed some strange symptoms including full body anhidrosis (basically I no longer am able to sweat) therefore I cannot tolerate heat with getting ill. I have been tested for many things but nothing has come back as an underlying cause. Anyone else have anything like this?
ew211

Re: Anyone experience anhidrosis after HELLP?

Postby tree » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:20 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Welcome to the forums! I searched the forums and google and couldn't find anything on anhidrosis after preeclampsia or HELLP. I will ask around to see if any of our other posters have any information for you. It can be really tough to find a link between two extremely uncommon conditions because so few people have either, let alone both. The data sets are just too small to draw any meaningful conclusions.
It is really common to have all sorts of strange symptoms pop up after HELLP. Many of us get tested for a wide variety of underlying conditions (autoimmune, clotting, etc.), and it seems like most of us don't get any answers out of all of that testing. It is frustrating. I am in the middle of another round of testing right now, and I have mixed feelings on finding anything. I would rather just be healthy, but knowing what the heck is wrong with me might mean I can fix some of it.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby ew211 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 05:27 pm

by ew211 (2 Posts), Thu Aug 02, 2012 05:27 pm

Thank you so much. I never really thought to link the 2 until I started reading about autoimmune issues and HELLP. My sister has Lupus, but I have been tested for Lupus, RA, Sojergns (sp?), and hormones and nothing has ever showed up. I notice too now at 34 problems with short term memory. All my tests for my blood and liver functions were normal a few months after delivery of my son.
ew211

Postby alviarin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 am

by alviarin (1645 Posts), Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 am

The only thing that popped into my head was Sjorens, but it sounds like you have been tested for that. I've heard that diabetes can cause anhidrosis too but I'd imagine you'd have additional symptoms if that were the case.

Autoimmune disorders run in my family also, but the one that causes the most memory problems is low thyroid. I went from feeling smart to feeling stupid because I started forgetting everything until I was diagnosed and treated for hypothryoidism.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders