HELLP with no symptoms?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

HELLP with no symptoms?

Postby johny3329 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 03:35 am

I was diagnosed with HELLP at the time of my induction at 40 weeks, 4 days. I had a fairly easy pregnancy, never any blood pressure issues, no protein in urine, no swelling, nothing. I had not made progress with my delivery so we decided to go in for an induction. I had some discomfort and had trouble sleeping so after the procedure I took an ambien to help me sleep until the next morning. My nurse woke me up around midnight saying my blood work came back with my platelet levels below 75,000 and elevated liver enzymes. We had to go in for an emergency c section and luckily I had a healthy baby girl and recovered with no major complications after delivery. The entire experience was rather terrifying with what could have happened. Does anyone else have a similar experience with HELLP and no symptoms whatsoever? I am wondering how closely others have been monitored with subsequent pregnancies as this whole experience has made me fearful of having another child someday.
jimmy
johny3329

Re: HELLP with no symptoms?

Postby caryn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 06:08 pm

Hi, I've moved this post to where I think it will get some replies. :D
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby cindergretta » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:54 pm

I had symptoms but they were overlooked since I wasn't presenting with pre-e. I had severe epigastric pain that I was told was my gall bladder, then it was my appendix, then it was kidney stones, and then they finally (after a week) decided it was pre-e and 3 hours later decided it was HELLP. It was a bit of a disaster, in my opinion. My platelets were down to 20,000 and they didn't want to do a c-section... Anyway, I had had pre-e with two prior pregnancies but was with a new OB and for some reason, she just wasn't looking for complications.

I have since had another baby with an awesome OB and am currently pregnant (23 weeks) with my last one!! (Same dr.) Find someone you can trust if you decide to have another baby. S/he should be someone with whom you are comfortable asking questions and who listens to you. S/he should also be alert to your concerns and symptoms. (I didn't feel like my OB when I had HELLP was at all.)

Only you and your dh or partner can make the decision about future pregnancies. There are no solid answers. Helpful, eh? (((hugs)))
cindergretta

Postby Lee2011 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 03:47 am

I had no obvious symptoms of HELLP, beyond my platelets slowly dropping from 30 weeks (which does happen anyway in a normal pregnancy). Like you mine was picked up by bloodwork (at 38weeks), with induction immediately following. My platelets plummeted in the last 5 days, ending at ~32 in the hours before delivery - as such a c-section under epidural was not possible. My son was born completely healthy and despite complications with me, I am now starting to consider a second pregancy.

I know I will be closely monitored and feel that I am armed with a lot of HELLP information (largely thanks to this forum), so I hope I am realistic about my chances.
Mother to baby boy Lee born 12/3/2011 after emergency induction at 38weeks following diagnosis of severe atypical HELLP syndrome. Having come within hours of losing both our lives every smile is a celebration.
Baby sister Paige c-sectioned at 38 weeks with no signs of HELLP :)
Lee2011

Postby Jineth » Sun Jan 27, 2013 07:33 pm

Hi, I like cindergreta had no symptoms of high blood pressure, epigastric pain only told me it was normal in pregnancy for heartburn, I was not hospitalized until the advice of another doctor I did blood tests revealed low platelets and high liver enzymes. Anyway HELLP doctors ruled out because enzymes and platelets went down. so I tried the other liver disease that was never diagnosed. At 12 days of hospitalization an ultrasound revealed that my baby had died, at this time if diagnosed HELLP. I was 24 weeks pregnant. My baby was stillborn on September 19, 2012. Now I'm looking for a new pregnancy in about two or three months ...
Jineth

Postby yellowroseo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:24 pm

Your story sounds very simular to mine. The only symptom I had was swelling that was written off as normal pregnancy symptom until my face became swollen. I went to the hospital because my friend said it looked like I had lip implants. They were about to send me home when my blood work came back bad and I ended up delivering my son at 36wks 5 days. I am very scared to try again because of the lack of symptoms. My platelets dropped so rapidly I would be afraid that would happen again without any signs. The only good news is that statistics show that if you do have it again it is usually later in pregnancy.
yellowroseo

Postby mnickerson » Mon May 06, 2013 12:50 am

Like you, I was very fortunate to develop HELLP at full term (though I was only 37 weeks). I've read that the later on in your pregnancy you develop HELLP, the better your chances are of not having it in future pregnancies. You are probably in the best shape of all HELLP survivors to go for another. I just posted a question about decreasing your chances of HELLP by having babies closer together after my doctor told me to go get pregnant! So you might want to ask your doctor what their opinion is on that. Nobody likes to be given ultimatums on if/when to have children, but if you definitely want more than one and sooner than later is safer, then that could be the way to go! Still a bit scary, though :cry: .
mnickerson

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders