Slow Onset?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: Slow Onset?

Postby Bookworm1983 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks for checking in. I am still very thankful to be limping along. I have days where I literally feel like my liver is going to burst, and then days where the pain is no more than a dull ache. My blood pressure has stayed at a nice and steady 100/70 (give or take a few points) for a few weeks now, so I am taking that as a good sign. I found out that I am spilling ketones this week, so I am hoping to get that under control as it appears to be due not to dehydration but my metabolism going faster than my caloric intake can keep up. I have swelling also, but nothing terribly alarming yet. I am so happy to have reached 29 weeks, and I hope I have several more left in me still!
Bookworm1983

Postby Bookworm1983 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:26 am

Tree: How did you know when the ongoing discomfort got to the point that it was serious enough to need addressed? Last time for me, I only knew because my water broke spontaneously. I can't actually say that the URQ pain got any worse by the time my liver enzymes went up, which makes it hard for me to know when I should call the doctor or just wait it out.
Bookworm1983

Postby tree » Sat Jun 29, 2013 01:14 pm

Bookworm - I started spending a lot more time in major pain, and I started throwing up. I am NOT a puker. It was obvious to everyone (except me) that something was seriously wrong at that point. I also turned yellow and really felt flu-ish and terrible. As a point of reference, I had real influenza this winter. Everyone else in my house said it was the worst/sickest/nastiest bug ever. It was not nearly as bad as being pregnant with HELLP.

I suggest going in to L&D if anything changes, gets worse, or you just can't take it any more. Always call if you wonder about anything. No doctor ever died answering the phone. Leave the worrying to them and go in if you think things are starting to head downhill. I hope that your body can hold out for a while.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby Bookworm1983 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 07:57 am

Update: While I have been fortunate that things have been relatively stable for a while, I have had steadily increasing BP for 3 days now. I have made it to 35 weeks, which feels like a huge victory. My diastolic is up to 85, but hasn't hit 90 yet, so I'm trying to take it easy and get a few more days before following up with the doctor to see about next steps. It feels like deja vu, but I am armed with so much more information now that I feel relatively prepared. Here's to hoping for just a few more days/weeks....
Bookworm1983

Postby sam10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 09:19 pm

:-) for making it to 35 weeks. I remember how relieved I was once I hit 35 weeks. Fingers crossed.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders