Does HELLP present the same in subsequent pregnancy's?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: Does HELLP present the same in subsequent pregnancy's?

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:52 am

There are a couple of underlying liver disorders or gallbladder disorders - really, I suppose, metabolic disorders - that present as this sort of pain that persists in pregnancy for weeks before elevating liver enzymes etc. present as HELLP. So I'm glad you're being watched closely.

Docs are used to thinking of HELLP as "liver enzymes in the thousands", but that's because the diagnostic tests look for hemolysis and elevated liver enzymes and low platelets and can't really pick up "pain".
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby Lee2011 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 09:20 am

Just wondering how you are doing? And hope everything is going well.

I got my elective csection date today, just before christmas, and despite growth scans, liver scans and blood tests everything is looking "normal", so counting down the days!
Mother to baby boy Lee born 12/3/2011 after emergency induction at 38weeks following diagnosis of severe atypical HELLP syndrome. Having come within hours of losing both our lives every smile is a celebration.
Baby sister Paige c-sectioned at 38 weeks with no signs of HELLP :)
Lee2011

Postby chica » Wed Dec 04, 2013 04:32 am

Hi there, I also have been wondering how you and bubs are doing. Have been following your story as I had a very similar experience to your first pregnancy (timing etc) and am pregnant again feeling anxious about heading into second half. I hope you have been receiving great care and all is well. Thoughts are with you.
chica

Postby Stormborn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Ladies,

Still plodding along. I've been getting weekly urine tests and fortnightly bloods done and they are all still normal. I hit 36w + 6 on Monday, which is when I was admitted with DS / diagnosed the first time so am feeling a little more hopeful that HELLP may not come back. However the RUQ has increased significantly in the last 2 days so am going for another lot of bloods tomorrow just to see if there's any movement in platelets or liver enzymes. It's not as bad as it was with DS so if there is movement I doubt it'll be in the danger zone just yet. The high risk clinic started becoming more pro-active with their monitoring about 3 weeks ago as we approached DS's birth gestation. They were the ones who insisted on fortnightly bloods, more if I felt I needed it. Whereas before I was having to demand to be tested. It's been stressful in some ways but a relief in others.

My c-section is booked for the 19th December at 38w+2 so crossing fingers I'll make it till then. Been having a lot of painful tightenings across my lower stomach, down my thighs & tightening in my back (it's like a braxton hicks contraction but in my back not my belly, if that makes sense) for the past 2 days & my GP's nurse thinks it maybe pre-labour starting. I have no idea what to expect as I never had any of this with DS, we're in uncharted waters now and it's kinda scary!

Glad to hear you're going well Lee2011, we're both going to have a lovely Christmas present this year aren't we! When's your c-sec booked? will you be home for Christmas? All going to plan we will be discharged on Christmas Eve.

Thanks Chica. The anxiety is awful, I had to keep reminding myself that 'today I don't have HELLP so take a breath & enjoy being pregnant'.
DS - 29th Dec 2008 - Born @ 37wks due to HELLP. Presented with RUQ pain @ 30wks, normal blood tests until 35wks (missed by ob) & normal BP until 36w + 6 when HELLP was finally diagnosed. Was misdiagnosed with reflux from 32wks.

DD - Due 31st Dec 2013 - Crossing fingers HELLP doesn't come back!
Stormborn

Postby Lee2011 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 00:30 am

Wow what a coincidence - I was c-sectioned on 19th December, baby girl Paige born weighing 6 pounds 15 (3.15kg), home after 2 nights in hospital and all going well. Platelets were 161 the week of the c-section (higher than they ever were with my son!). Terrible nausea continued throughout the 9 months though with me not able to keep anything down for 24 hours before c-section :( All better now and recovery going well plus we had a lovely Christmas.

Hope you and babe are doing well!!!!
Mother to baby boy Lee born 12/3/2011 after emergency induction at 38weeks following diagnosis of severe atypical HELLP syndrome. Having come within hours of losing both our lives every smile is a celebration.
Baby sister Paige c-sectioned at 38 weeks with no signs of HELLP :)
Lee2011

Previous

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders