Being watched for HELLP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Being watched for HELLP

Postby aw5756 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:54 am

Hi, my name is Amber and I am completely new here. I am hoping one of you ladies who have experience with this can help me. And I am sorry, a little long So, a quick family history- my mother had PIH, my grandmother had toxemia and my great grandmother had toxemia as well with possible HELLP. Unfortunately at that time there wasn't as much info on toxemia and I don't believe HELLP was known about but her PE got so bad she had a stroke which is synonymous with HELLP. In my first pregnancy, I had extreme swelling and high blood pressure but my ex-husband was a Marine and I went to a naval hospital and was seen to by naval officers, not physicians. Nobody ever tested me for PE and I only gave urine at maybe 3 visits. I knew something was wrong, but nobody ever listened to me and always sent me home. I was put on bedrest and at 38 weeks pregnant I went into L&D at a real hospital 3 times in one week. Again, high BP but I was always sent home. On my third visit, a doctor got frustrated with me and told me I was going to be pregnant 2 more weeks at least and that nothing was wrong. The nurse was the one who caught my hypertensive crisis with BP of 190/74 and I was frantic, in pain, disoriented and so dizzy I couldn't walk. I wasn't in labor but they admitted me anyways for BP and said if labor didn't offically kick off I would be induced and that if I hadn't come in, I would have passed out and gone into cardiac arrest killing me and the baby. I was 3cm dilated. My doctor for this pregnancy believes I had PE then and was never tested or treated for it but I came very close. My current pregnancy was a dream come true for a while. About 2.5 weeks ago I started getting dull headaches, occasional migraines and nothing worked. First it was Tylenol, the occasional aspirin but not often, and then my doctor greenlighted me for Excedrin Migraine but it didn't stop them. Everyday I woke up with a headache and sleep would lessen it but it never actually went away. I had nausea and vomiting but just assumed it was hormones. This past Monday, about an hour after eating just a bowl of yogurt, strawberries and milk, I got very anxious, a little paranoid, and extremely dizzy. I was already standing when I suddenly started swaying and had to hold myself up. The dizziness got worse, and when I closed my eyes, the room felt like it was spinning. I got very nauseous and started throwing up and seeing stars. Called doc and they were a little concerned but I had no way to check my bp. Happened again Tuesday and my husband took me to check it about 30 mintues after it happened and I was 149/94. Was sent to L&D, my liver enzymes were a little elevated and my protein was 417, not yet 500 and my platelets were a little low. Started tracking bp with a bp kit and it started resting at 134/80. Always spiked after eating, with nausea, vomiting, dizziness anxiety, malaise and flashing lights and floating shapes. Sent back to L&D on Thursday and I'm still here. Nobody understands what's happening. They told me I had PE but they don't understand. I stabilized and my protein went back down, 1 liver enzyme still elevated and still getting sick after eating. They took me off MAG yesterday. I have another 24 hour urine. Swelling went down completely. They said it doesn't make sense that my protein is fluctuating so much and why my bp climps so much after eating, that it's not natural and that something is wrong. I am only 28 weeks pregnant and they gave me steroid shots to mature baby's lungs. ANybody else have similar experience and if so, what happened? They told me after I was admitted that this was happening way too soon for me and they were concerned I had HELLP.
aw5756

Re: Being watched for HELLP

Postby tree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 09:26 pm

Hi Amber - I am sorry that you had to find us here, but we are happy to be here for you. I responded to your post on the other forum too.
PE and HELLP are weird. Most of the time, women get sick and keep getting sicker. Other times, we don't, I think all they can do is watch and monitor you very closely. How are you feeling now?
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby aw5756 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 09:31 pm

A lot better than I did before but BP is going back up again, nausea's back and swelling is making a comeback. I was discharged yesterday at 5. We are pushing for at least 3 more weeks.
aw5756

Postby tree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 09:43 pm

I am glad you are feeling better than before. Returning symptoms are still scary. Could you be admitted and watched there?
Many of us would gestate in the hospital if they would let us. Being in the hospital stinks, but it is sometimes the best place to be. You could get lucky and stay safely miserable for a few weeks, or things could go downhill fast. There is no way to know. Keep us posted.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby aw5756 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 09:47 pm

I completely agree that the hospital is the best place to be. I know I'm supposed to get extra monitoring by my doc and it's scary that it feels like it's coming back, but I feel more in control now than I did before. And thank you so much for being so helpful and supportive! You're definitely right about better being safe than sorry.
aw5756

Postby tree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 09:55 pm

It does help to know which symptoms to watch for. If I were in your shoes, I would call or just go to L&D for any change in symptoms. It is just too scary to risk it, and it sounds like they are expecting you (and hoping not to see you). I know that our medical board considers late onset nausea "an under appreciated symptom" of Pre-E/HELLP.

Hang in there.
tree
Forum Moderator

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders