underlying conditions

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here
cosmogirl4056

Re: underlying conditions

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 08:52 am

I did not have hello only ore e. With the first one it was crazy! He was 6 weeks early so I pumped all the time. I would get 8 ounces per side every time!!! with the second one I was so scared to eat....I did not get a lot at all.

I'm interested to know your results as well!!

alexxmama

Postby alexxmama » Sat Sep 26, 2015 02:50 am

A spring baby! Very exciting :) I do get a good amount of healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, some cheese) but I've added in plain whole yogurt and coconut oil so hopefully those will help.

I see the endocrinologist the second week of October so I'll post here with the results. It would be interesting to see if I'm IR as well!

Was your milk supply ok with you HELLP baby?

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 04:49 pm

I am not due until March!! I have been dealing with IR and BP runs on higher side of normal...130/70. With your diet up the fat!!!

alexxmama

Postby alexxmama » Fri Sep 25, 2015 04:44 pm

That's funny you mentioned Whole 30...I'm part of a support group for low supply mamas (the combination of the pre-e and HELLP along with LOs tongue and lip ties plus bad advice from LCs meant my supply was terrible the first few months) and a lot of people recommend Whole 30 to help with IR and overall health. I'm planning to start one if the endocrinologist says I'm IR. I have a pretty healthy diet already (lots of lean meats and veggies, limited grains and dairy, little processed foods) but I know I may need to go more extreme if my numbers aren't good. I was only on BP medicine (a different one than the one they originally gave me) for a couple weeks before my BP went back down and it's stayed in the normal range for the most part since (I got a home BP machine)

I wish you luck on this journey and hope you and baby have a wonderful experience! Are you due soon?

I

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:27 am

Working out does help!! Also research whole 30!! Last pregnancy the mess would not work at all. My dr thinks my no is getting better! This morning it was 120/67....she is happy with that so I will just stay active, watch what I eat and listen to what they say!! Mine are quite a few years apart. I have a 9 and 5 year old. I am going with that I will not have any complications!

alexxmama

Postby alexxmama » Fri Sep 25, 2015 00:46 am

Congratulations! I hope your pregnancy is happy and healthy and free of any complications! My LO is 9 months and we would love to have a second but are nervous about me developing pre-e and HELLP again. I know the fact that I developed them so late are good but I'm still anxious about it! I'm also trying hoping to get tested for MTHFR mutation since it involves clotting and how the body absorbs folic acid and I've read a few things that suggest people with it might be at a higher risk of developing HELLP. It's a really common mutation though (I think they estimate 40-60% of the population have some form of it) so it might not mean anything. It's still good info I guess :)

They gave me a BP medication in the hospital a couple days PP that made my BP go from 155/110-60/30...not good. I'm hoping if I start working out again on a regular basis that I can get my BP low enough that it'll help keep me from developing the conditions again.

cosmogirl4056

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 06:54 pm

I am actually pregnant now!! They gave me no meds to make sure my BP does not get too high. It is always high in the office but not at home. In fact they gave me aldomet to take twice daily. I started feeling SUPER tired, dizzy when I stood up etc. I took my BP and it was 105/55!! So I went to 1 pill and stay between 110/65-120/70 I got 1 reading of 130/70 but they said that was fine. They said obviously my BP isn't as high as they thought or I wouldn't be bottoming out like that....time will tell! I feel better! I work out more and eat better. Last pregnancy they medicine did nothing for my BP. The dr said it must be getting better....

alexxmama

Postby alexxmama » Thu Sep 24, 2015 06:37 pm

It sounds like you have a great doctor! My OB said nothing about underlying issues that could have caused pre-e and HELLP in someone who had always been healthy and had no history of any health issues. I finally got a referral to an endocrinologist and am hoping that the endo will test me for IR and other conditions that may have contributed to me developing both pre-e and HELLP. My OB wanted to just put me on BP medication without trying to figure out if something caused my issues. I was very fortunate that I didn't get diagnosed with pre-e and HELLP until the day before I gave birth at 38 weeks. I hope you found your answers!

cosmogirl4056

underlying conditions

Postby cosmogirl4056 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:46 pm

I may not supposed to post this here but I figured it may go along with it. I have been having some weird symptoms lately and thought they were hormonal. Needless to say the gynecologist I went to believes that I have insulin resistance. I had Pre e with both pregnancies and he said that is a huge sign that I have something underlying. I also found out I have endometriosis. He told me that is another thing that will alert you toward insulin resistance. I am 25 and cannot believe that I am dealing with high bp again! He told me that the insulin resistance is actually causing the bp issues. I have thought for awhile now that something was going on but nobody would listen. I am so glad that someone finally took me seriously. Needless to say, since my appointment I have stopped eating sugar. The Dr I am seeing for it believes in solving any issues you have. His belief is that it starts in our minds, like the stresses in our life can make these things worse. Seeing these posts make me hope he is checking my b12 as well. Anyways, I thought it was very awesome that I had a Dr. who does NOT ignore pre e, he views it as a symptom and a part of my medical history. I had a dr before who told me that I will just most likely be on bp meds and that was that. I am glad that I have a dr willing to figure out what is going on with me. Again, I do not know if I am posting this in the correct place but I really think it is important for anyone who presents with hellp or pre e to find a dr who is willing to do the "dirty work" and figure out why. I know that not everyone has a why but maybe there is. Maybe there really is something that can fix this and maybe we will be the voice for women in the future if we continue to fight to see what is wrong with us.

Return to “HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders”