HELPP Again?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

HELPP Again?

Postby jackysmommy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 01:41 pm

Hello, I am a 21 year old single mother of two beautiful children. My first, Jackson, was born at 28 weeks weighing 2lbs 5 oz, and my second is Emily, born only one month early, weighing 6 lbs 7 oz. I have just gotten the news that I am expecting again. I was very ill with my son, Jack. I had mono and was ill the majority of the time. My second things were smooth, I felt well, and baby was well, growing. My doctor told me to watch my stress because my blood pressure was getting a little odd, (my son had just broke his leg). I did, watched what I did, was careful. Then, the day my son was to get his cast off I had my ob appointment. The dr told me I needed to go on the pit ASAP and I had to check into the hospital at 4 pm. I was there, my mother holding my hand. They waited until 1 pm the next day before I was on the pit. The labor was easy, I felt great. Had a wonderful little girl and I was starved. I have low blood sugar, but they wouldn't let me eat. That night I asked the nurses to keep an eye on Emily so I could get the rest I missed the night before. The next day I felt fine. Even though I was induced for high bp they only checked my bp once that morning. Finally at 2 they let me sign the papers to leave. By 5:30 I was back at the ER will stomach problems, pail, and weak. They had no clue what was going on. I was so ill from fighting whatever had taken over my body I couldn't move. At 11 pm I was diagnosed with HELPP. They had me stay in the ICU for 1 week. Once I was out I was told never to have another baby or I would die. Since my husband’s death in May 03, I have begun to get on with my life. And now, my fiancée and I are going to have a baby ourselves. What is the possibility of getting this again? I know that I am taking a risk, but with two different fathers how big is it? And what is HELPP? I was told it was an allergic reaction to the sperm of the father. There aren't very many doctors around here that have even heard of it. Although I am about 3 hours from Presbyterian St. Luke’s where my son spent 3 months, I still feel very uneasy about this baby. What is the best advice you can give?
Jessica
Mommy of Jack 3 yrs
Mommy of Emily 1 yr

Jessica Lynn Oaks
jackysmommy

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders