Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re : What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby catherine » Thu Jun 05, 2003 08:17 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Thu Jun 05, 2003 08:17 am

Ditto for me, no nausea or vomiting but I did have the diorrhea (sp?) from h*ll!! Which, for me personally, is usually the physiological equivalent of throwing up, [:I] TMI I know. I have had a pain myself on and off in the same area of late but it always goes away. I'm thinking that maybe it's a foot or some other bit of baby just pressing up. One thing I do remember is that the pain just never let up, it got worse and worse, so I feel if it passes, it probably isn't significant, at least in my case.

Catherine (36)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (1 1/2)
"Skelitor" due 7/31/03
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby annegarrett » Thu Jun 05, 2003 09:26 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Thu Jun 05, 2003 09:26 am

When I said stitch in my side running--I meant the kind that makes you stop running and grab your side and have to breath through the pain. I didn't read anyone above saying it sounded like a pulled muscle--it is terrible pain and there is no mistaking that it is not normal.

Read the posts again--the women are using terms like--
"the pain just never let up, it got worse and worse"
"I was doubled over in pain, sobbing and begging for meds."
"It was an incredible pain that kept me doubled over"
"I knew something was wrong when the Percoset (very strong painkiller) they gave me couldn't even touch the pain."

I am not saying your pain isn't worth asking the doctor about--just that the pain from HELLP is significantly more than an occasional pulled muscle feeling--

If you are seeing a perinatologist--you can always ask for a second opinion--it won't hurt and it might help ease your fears.

In one of your earlier posts--you say: "I delivered a healthy baby at 38 weeks with no complications and that was all I cared about at the time."

I know you mentioned you had some BP increases in the first pregnancy but that you were never diagnosed with preeclampsia. It is really rare to get HELLP in the first place--and more so if you have no previous history. I am not trying to diminish your fears--but reassure you that it sounds like you are doing everything right--that you are communicating your concerns with your doctor and that he or she is trying to reassure you as well.

Anne
annegarrett

Postby sarina » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:22 am

by sarina (9 Posts), Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:22 am

The first post above said...

"Sometimes this pain can feel like a pulled muscle--or even the usual aches and pains of a stretching abdomen, too much Chinese food, or a general malaise. For me--the pain was intense and I couldn't lie on my right side."

That's what I was referring to.

I have found much comfort in the fact that I'm not nauseated and that the pain is not severe...yet it bothers me that it just won't go away and it's in the area of my liver.

I called the doctor regarding the 3 hour glucose tolerance test that I had to take yesterday and also mentioned that the pain I was having has not gone away when I talked to the nurse. She scheduled me to come in this afternoon. That way I can talk to them about my test results and the doctor can take a look and listen to my concerns about this pain.

Thanks for the reassurance girls.

Sarina

sarina

Postby annegarrett » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:26 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:26 am

Thanks for clarifying--I read through these pretty fast sometimes so can miss the details! [;)] More than anything--you should feel like your doctor is listening and you should be proactive about your care. Sounds like you are doing your part and that you are getting the doctor's to be responsive. I would keep doing what you're doing.

Take care,

Anne
annegarrett

Postby ireneb » Wed Jun 25, 2003 09:26 am

by ireneb (1 Posts), Wed Jun 25, 2003 09:26 am

Sarina,
I realize the last posted message was 3 weeks ago, but hopefully you're doing well. The pain I had with HELLP was in the upper abdominal area just below the sternum (where the ribs meet). The pain was not severe at first, just relentless. I thought it was either heartburn or too much food at once. It continued to worsen and I sought medical attention 24 hours later when I received the diagnosis and subsequently had to deliver emergently via c-section.
Although my pain was not severe until the next day, I wouldn't classify it as excruciating and I NEVER had nausea, vomiting, headache. This abdominal pain was my only symptom (besides the swelling in my legs and hands that gradually worsened over a 2-week time period). However, my understanding is that the liver pain in HELLP would not go away until delivery.
Hope this helps (no pun intended).

Irene

Elliot Laura (29 weeker) 3/10/2003
ireneb

Postby amyk » Wed Jun 25, 2003 02:01 pm

by amyk (198 Posts), Wed Jun 25, 2003 02:01 pm

Mine was an intense pain that woke me from a sound sleep and wouldn't go away. I took Tylenol after Tylenol after Tylenol after Tylenol and it did nothing except make me dizzy and nauseated. I finally resorted to carrying two hot water bottles, one just under my right ribcage and the other on the right side of my back. I felt like I was short of breath and it hurt to sit or lie down, so I just walked laps around the kitchen island. I seriously must have walked a thousand laps just crying and crying because it hurt so badly. My points are: 1)I think if it's this kind of pain, you'll know it.
2)I was a huge idiot for not doing anything about it. I didn't want to bother anyone so I waited several hours until my OB's office opened. He figured it was a normal pregnancy backache and called in a prescription for Vicodan. If I ever got that again I would go straight to L&D now.
I hope you are feeling much better.

Amy
amyk

Postby lizparnell » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:43 pm

by lizparnell (1 Posts), Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:43 pm

People have described lots of different types of pain. What about pain that feels like bruising, just under the ribs, on the top of my bump? I wasn't really worried about the pain, but I have preeclampsia, so was checking sites out. I noticed the shoulder pain comment - I have had pain in my right shoulder for a week. However, I was in hospital when it started, so I am wondering, if it is something serious they would've picked that up a week ago?[url="mailto:lizparnell@ihug.com.au"]lizparnell@ihug.com.au[/url]
lizparnell

Postby angelical » Tue Jul 29, 2003 05:20 am

by angelical (330 Posts), Tue Jul 29, 2003 05:20 am

quote:
Originally posted by lizparnell

...if it is something serious they would've picked that up a week ago?

Based on my own experience, and many of the posts on this Forum, I wouldn't count on that. Unfortunately even "good" doctors can miss what seems to us as obvious signs.

Good luck!
Sharel

Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP
angelical

Postby christinab. » Tue Jul 29, 2003 08:15 am

by christinab. (7 Posts), Tue Jul 29, 2003 08:15 am

Hello

When I first got the "pain" I was cooking dinner for my husband. It was like nothing I have ever felt before. My head started spinning, my vision began to blurr, and I kept vommiting. Nothing was making it go away. It hurt so much. It took alot of medication to make it leave. And by that time I was admitted into the hospital. All I can say is that I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy.

ChristinaB
christinab.

Postby meaz » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:38 am

by meaz (1 Posts), Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:38 am

My pain was in my upper epigastric area. Like right below my breast. It was kinda dull and achey both really bothersome. And I also had shoulder pain (which felt like I was just really stressed and needed a good massage). I thought I had the flu so I didn't pay it anymind. That and all my lab work was fine so I really just blew it off. But I did gain like 12 pounds in one month. I thought because I had given up on eating healthy and just inhaled everything in site - BUT NO! So, if you get any of these symptoms get to your doctor ASAP. Oh, and I had nosebleeds, and headaches too.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarina

I'm trying to keep an eye on things since I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and I developed preeclampsia during my last pregnancy.

I'm wondering what the abdominal pain with HELLP feels like?

Thanks,

Sarina

meaz
meaz

PreviousNext

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders