Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby featherhaze » Sun Oct 14, 2012 09:55 pm

by featherhaze (4 Posts), Sun Oct 14, 2012 09:55 pm

I had heartburn and pretty bad acid reflux issues with both of my pregnancies (first one normal, HELLP @ 37 wks with second) and the location of the pain was similar to heartburn but it DEFINITELY feels different. It was not a burning pain but more of a pressure, almost like I couldn't catch my breath. It was right in the center of my chest, right under the sternum. It couldn't be ignored and no position relieved it. I am grateful I had the pain because I had no other significant symptoms (one isolated high BP reading one week prior that I think my Dr thought was a fluke). Because my BP was only borderline when I saw the OB and I had no protein in my urine, I was sent home. The pain continued to get worse and I went to maternity triage where they finally did blood work and caught it. I would suggest requesting a blood test if you suspect it may be HELLP. I think I was not diagnosed immediately because I did not have PE or any related conditions with my first pregnancy. From my understanding, the blood test is the only way to know for sure.
featherhaze

Re: What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby Melekalikimaka » Sun Jan 25, 2015 08:56 pm

by Melekalikimaka (1 Posts), Sun Jan 25, 2015 08:56 pm

I haven't had a chance to read through all of the posts in this thread, but my experience was in direct contrast to those I have read. I didn't have severe pain. I ate some spicy grilled potatoes for supper, and afterwards didn't feel quite right. I chalked it up to the spices. I went to bed early, and by that time the discomfort had settled right behind my xiphoid process (the bottom of the sternum). I woke up a few times in the night, and the discomfort remained.

Because I had had severe swelling since the 2nd trimester, I spent some time on Google and when I saw the world preeclampsia, I decided to call the after-hours nurse. My BP had always been low (under 110/70), but at my last appointment it was around 120/80. Not a big jump, but a little unusual for me. I mentioned this all to the nurse, and it was decided that my doctor would meet me at the hospital. The discomfort turned into a mild pain, and I even asked for Tylenol at the hospital. After blood and urine tests, it was determined that I had HELLP Syndrome. No protein in my urine, and my BP was maybe around 150/90 at the highest. It would drop a bit when I would lie on my left side. I was induced, but when I didn't progress fast enough they decided on a c-section. My son was born at 36 weeks 6 days. He was in the NICU for 4 days, but is now a super healthy 2 and a half year old.

The pain never progressed beyond being mild. I'm a massage therapist and I'm hyper-aware of my body and how I feel and I attribute that (and a whole lot of sheer luck!!) to why I was able to catch it early enough.
Melekalikimaka

Previous

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders