WAT Location Fees

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!

WAT Location Fees

Postby martina » Mon Nov 21, 2005 03:47 pm

In the WAT call, I brought up that the location that we currently have reserved for the 2006 WAT has fees totalling ~$1000. This is for the site fee ($500), payments to off-duty policeman and coordinator (estimated at $340), fencing (estimated at $200). In addition, there is a refundable deposit of $500.
I am curious about what other groups are finding in terms of location fees or charges. Please let me know what kinds of fees you had last year and what kind of fees you expect for 2006.

Thanks,
Martina
Arizona
martina

Re : WAT Location Fees

Postby kdreher » Mon Nov 21, 2005 07:13 pm

We actually didn't pay much last year. We used a park in a smaller part of town and with the pavilion and use of the mile long paved track it was only $75. The rules were a bit strict - no fund raising, no big media, etc...only because it is used by the public as well. It suited out walkers very well. The exposure was not a lot but we had a great turn out and a great time. We were going to use a bigger location from the city but it would have been over $1,500.
kdreher

Postby aimeejane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:10 am

The original city I approached would have been well over $2000. We walked at a county park, and our fees were less than $150. It was a great site, except that the trail was much too short. This year, I'm approaching a larger park in another area of the city that was under repairs last year. I'm not sure what the fees will be at that location.
aimeejane

Postby jillmushet » Tue Nov 22, 2005 04:54 pm

Hi Aimee! It's good to see you on the boards! I remember your dilemma last year about site fees. I think that with having a site in a large city like Phoenix or Atlanta is going to make the fees jump.

There are so many nice things about the park in question: LOCATION, parking, walking pathes, physical beauty. It's a gem. If you stand in the middle of the park and look south, you see downtown Phoenix, and when you face north there are mountains. We were looking for a site that we could stay at for years to come. This park has so much going for it.

The big downside it that we can not accept money on the premises. However, they will let us accept some walk-up participants because we are a non-profit. This limitation shouldn't be a problem this year, but in years to come it could be. This is on top of the park fees.

Finding a location and working with it was our biggest concern last year, and it looks as though it will be for 2006 as well.
jillmushet

Postby aimeejane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 06:21 pm

Hi Jill! I always love seeing Claire's picture...I'm sure I've mentioned before that she was born on my 25th birthday. I think 3 must be her lucky number, too, especially given her weight.

I'm concerned about finalizing a walk site, too, but my biggest issue was/is fundraising/sponsorship. That part gives me the willies, but I'm determined to go whole hog this year!
aimeejane

Postby molly419 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 09:12 pm

The site that we are considering, City Island, in Harrisburg is going to cost us about $550-$650. Which is on the high side. But, the first question that I get from potiental sponsors is "how much exposure are we going to get??" So, I am taking the gamble that we will be more sponsors in a VERY public area, then in a park even though it cost $400 less.

Like Aimee, I had a really hard time getting sponsors, but this year, it is already going really good and have 5 interested companies already! I would like to give a round of applause to Heather M for that! She has been awesome to work with.
molly419

Postby jillmushet » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:12 am

Well Ladies, What do you think? We would be able to cover the expenses with our WAT proceeds, but that is money not going to PF. Bigger venue = more fees. Is it worth it?

(Aimee, thank you for the kind words about Claire. Yes, 3 is her lucky number! I'm glad that you and Claire share a birthday. I hope Claire has your sweet dispostion when she grows up!)
jillmushet

Postby martina » Wed Nov 23, 2005 02:10 pm

"Is it worth it?" - That is really the question I am struggling with.

The point about exposure is a very good one. We will have much more exposure at this new site than we had last year. It will also be closer to some of the potential sponsors I want to target. I know that we can more than cover the expenses. I also like the fact that the new site gives us room to grow.

I just really want to make sure we think it through and I am interested in other peoples' perspectives.

Martina
martina

Postby caryn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:09 am

I think that in the long run, the cost of that site will be worth it -- but this year, it might be a push!

Last year I paid our site fees at the Curry site -- as a donation to the PF. This year there's no way for me to pay all of it, but I will cheerfully donate $200 or so towards them.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jillmushet » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:26 am

Another advantage to this site is that once we have an event there, we are given scheduling preference over newer events in the park. In other words, we can schedule the 2007 WAT earlier and reserve our date. Plus, the park coordinator had heard of PF and supports our efforts.

I say let's do it. We can use 2006 as a year where we get used to our surroundings and the park requirements. We got our feet wet this past May, now we can dig in.
jillmushet

Next

Return to The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia