changing location?

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!

changing location?

Postby mom2tori » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:16 pm

Since I am torn on this I figured I would ask the experts!! Last year we held the WI walk at an elementary school-we had the whole block and all the grounds including playground equipment, basketball court ect. It was on one of about 3 main streets in Beaver Dam, very high traffic. We have had several people mention moving the walk to the high school track which has a wonderful track and it is really nice, the down side is there is not a lot of visibility and nothing for the kiddos to do. I like the idea of the high school track but I like having the playground close by when we were at the elementary school, so my question is.....what would you do? Which would you choose?
mom2tori

Re : changing location?

Postby miracle3 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:41 am

I am in the same situation. Only I am concerned about space and visibility. Well I guess the main question is.... are their enough children attending that are at the age to stay at the playground by themselves during the walk. I guess I never thought about the fact that people would bring their children and not pay for them to walk or have them in strollers. I planned on doing door prizes for any of the kids that walk and hopefully I will get enough donations for all of them. Good luck and let me know how your coming.
miracle3

Postby kdreher » Wed Dec 07, 2005 02:18 pm

I think if I had to choose I would go for activities for kids over visibility. I know we all want the word to get out about the PF - last year we did it at a local park, not much visibility at all. Could you see if you can get the h.s. to ask for student volunteers to "babysit" and maybe create games for the older kids while you are walking?
kdreher

Postby mom2tori » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:50 pm

I guess I will go with the same location that we used last year and if this year turns out to be a bigger, better walk then move it next year. I just want the returning walkers (I am pretty sure many will be) to know where they are going and what we are doing. Thanks for your input ladies
mom2tori

Return to The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia