Need suggestions??

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!

Need suggestions??

Postby miracle3 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:46 pm

What technique do you find works best to motivate people to participate in the walk?

What would you prefer to do raffle off donated items or use them as door prizes to attract walkers?

Please whomever is doing walks can we share some ideas and/or success stories?

Thanks
miracle3

Re : Need suggestions??

Postby kdreher » Wed Jan 18, 2006 06:46 pm

Danielle,
I worked with another member, Joanne, organizing a walk in PA last year. We were not allowed to host a raffle due to park rules and instead when walkers showed up with their registration forms, etc they were given a ticket. The opposite stub was put in a bag. Before the walk we told everyone to stick around after for (donated) drinks and snacks and that we would have flowers to give away (we got a local florist to donate flats of pansies) and had lots of gift certificates to "give away". We also had goodie bags for everyone which were filled with "freebies" that area hospitals had donated: bags, pencils, pens, health magnets, paper pads, etc.
kdreher

Postby molly419 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 09:52 pm

Hi,

Last year, most of our walkers were family and friends, or others affected by PE. I think it would be tough to "entice" the general public to come out and walk, unless there was a fabulous incentive...a car, vacation....ect.

I strongly suggest finding walkers who were affected by PE or know someone who was. But, it doesn't hurt to have some items for a raffle or freebies to hand out.
molly419

Postby darcynulph » Sun Jan 22, 2006 00:08 am

I have been working on an idea of approaching hospital staff: nicu, l & d, antepartum, etc. and see if each department can come up with either 2 or 4 walkers - the social workers for each department might be a good starting point. Most of us have spent so much time "living" in our local hospitals that I think it could be a great way to get more participation.
darcynulph

Postby kdreher » Sun Jan 22, 2006 07:41 am

D'Arcy..I think that is a fabulous idea. You can also ask your OBGYN office to at least post the walk brochure and see if that gets attention..it might also get attention of those affected with PE, even if they don't walk. Hospitals are a great source for sponsorship, freebies, and advertising.
kdreher

Postby caryn » Thu Jan 26, 2006 02:55 am

quote:
Originally posted by mlaureto

I think it would be tough to "entice" the general public to come out and walk, unless there was a fabulous incentive...a car, vacation....ect.

Just thinking out loud here...

Some of the other walks tied to diseases manage to get quite a number of walkers, and I bet many of them are just general public. Is that maybe because they've got a 5K as well as a "fun run" *and* a walk at this point in their evolution?

Athletes are always looking for convenient events to train for and participate in; could we get coverage from national or local fitness magazines?

Or are we too teeny to do that yet?
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia