Nationwide Preeclampsia Walk-A-Thon - Sat., May 7,

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!

Re : Nationwide Preeclampsia Walk-A-Thon - Sat., May 7,

Postby browncow » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:47 am

I'm in Tampa, the Walk-a-thon's the day after my 39th birthday, would love to participate and work on local media attention.
browncow

Postby molly419 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 03:55 pm

My best tip for you is to secure a location as soon as you can. Im sure that you will find that it is going to take some work, and jumping through a lot of hoops! Also, inlist as many people to help organize and make calls that you can. If you want to exchange ideas, my e-mail is mlaureto@yahoo.com

Molly Laureto
25 weeker-1lb 1oz. HELLP
quote:
Originally posted by kstevens

I really didn't plan on organizing when I signed up our state, but I was contacted by another CT member who actually lives near me and I think we are going to really give it a go. I'm on vacation until Friday but I will try to meet up with her once I get home and see what we can come up with.

Any tips from anyone who has begun planning?

Kris (35)
DH, Tom (34)
Connecticut, USA

Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks severe pe/HELLP)
BFP 1/16/05 - M/C 1/26/05

Hoping for a 2005 miracle!

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net

molly419

Postby aimeejane » Fri Feb 11, 2005 01:42 pm

Hi Jaime,

I know you said we'll approach each potential corporate sponsor on a case-by-case basis, but I have a LOT of ideas of folks to approach, and it would be preferable to approach them and be able to say, "If you give us XXX, we will put your name YYY." The two people I've talked to so far want to know that up front. Is there any idea about how this would be handled? I would assume that since the t-shirts are being printed in bulk on the national level that listing local sponsors on them wouldn't be an option. Could they instead be listed on our flyers, posters, banners and/or in our print ads? It would be a lot easier to negotiate knowing this at the beginning.

Thanks so much!

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby annegarrett » Fri Feb 11, 2005 02:32 pm

One suggestion I have as well is that if you are in an area without a walk-a-thon or are on bedrest--not to worry--you can do a "Bedrest Buddy" sponsorship and raise money to sponsor one of your sister-cities walks. I can draft a letter that you can then send to your friends and family and essentially it is the couch-potato (or truly stuck in bed!!) version of the event. Also, be sure to take your kids and strollers--the more strollers and family-like you can make the event--the more inviting. You can even push an empty stroller in honor of a baby who is not with us.

Just some thoughts...

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby crdv1976 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 06:59 pm

I would totally love to help start an effort in south florida... give me some info..
crdv1976

Postby Dawn D » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:17 pm

I'm getting a little confused as to which topic I should post under, but here are some random thoughts,questions/suggestions...

-Balloons, posters, etc....does the PFoundation have a universal color that represents our cause (ex: pink is for breast cancer awareness). Maybe Periwinkle?? What color are the t-shirts?

- are we permitted to take info from this site and reproduce it...for example the "Cost of PReE in USA" stats?

-In order to have any idea of a t-shirt count by March 1st, we really need registration forms...we should collect $15 fee in advance to ensure participation right? or only collect $ the day of walk? How do we go about accepting credit card payment for reg. fee?

-suggestion for getting sponsors: collect business card or letter head and ensure sponsers that their logo will be used to advertise their business. Ask print shop to print and donate a banner that shows all sponsors logos...hang on registration table the day of walk. or have a separate pamphlet handed out the day of race which has logos of sponsors along with a sincere note of thanks included.

Dawn
Dawn D

Postby kdreher » Sat Feb 12, 2005 05:19 am

I was just reading Anne's letter and she wrote "we have our Mother's Day Walk - 'Pregnancy is not just a walk in the park' - is she referrring to May 7th??? If so...and I'm just getting it now"...I LOVE the line.

Kris (35)
DH, Tom (34)
Connecticut, USA

Tyler 3-9-95 to 3-23-95 (26 wks severe pe/HELLP)
BFP 1/16/05 - M/C 1/26/05

Hoping for a 2005 miracle!

tkstevens@sbcglobal.net
kdreher

Postby grace04 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:57 am

Hi all -

I just wanted to give you a quick update that I am traveling today and tomorrow so I won't be able to respond to the posts until tomorrow night or even Monday morning. Please keep posting your questions - and please feel free to post a new topic relating to the walk-a-thon if you have specific questions. I will respond to everyone's questions very soon.

Thank you!

Jaime Nolan
Administrative Director

DH Joe
Parents of Grace Ann
2/22/04-3/2/04 (born @ 27 weeks severe Pre E)
grace04

Postby lors63 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 09:06 pm

I want to do Clear Lake area in Houston by NASA but I have to see if I can get help to do it.
ANyone else in this area? I was thinking NASA RD ONE as good exposure.
I have taken some polls on some groups I belong to and will know if I can commit to managing this event as a chairperson. Thanks, email me direct if you can help me in Houston Clear Lake NASA area.
Lorraine
lors63

Postby aimeejane » Sun Feb 13, 2005 02:22 pm

Hi ladies!

One of our Georgia members, Jennifer, has found a source for the waterproof paper material that's used to make runners' bibs. Enough paper to do 100 bibs costs $20. She had the idea of printing up bibs on an individual basis for each registrant, using the PF logo, name of the walk, and the name of those in honor or in memorial of whom they are walking. JAIME, is this an appropriate use of the Foundatoin logo?

The other question we had was whether or not we could host a website for our local walk, where people could quickly (and in one place) get walk information (plate, time, requirement), download forms, and get our contact information. Is this something we should go ahead with, or will a page of this sort be provided on the national level?

Thanks!!

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

PreviousNext

Return to The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia