Nationwide Preeclampsia Walk-A-Thon - Sat., May 7,

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!
diane culkin

Re : Nationwide Preeclampsia Walk-A-Thon - Sat., May 7,

Postby diane culkin » Mon Feb 07, 2005 03:02 pm

Jamie, great idea. Would like to help out here in Tampa, Fl. Please let me know what I can do to help coordinate.

Diane Casali-Culkin - 2 time HELLP Syndrome survivor of Kaley born 27 wks 3 days 2lbs 4ozs & Ashley born at 28 wks at 1lb 11ozs.

Diane Casali-Culkin

daniela

Postby daniela » Mon Feb 07, 2005 03:00 pm

I would love to help out here in Boston/Cambridge area. Please let me know. I live in Cambridge, MA. My home phone number is (HIDDEN). Thanks, Daniela

daniela pittman

grace04

Postby grace04 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 02:50 pm

Dawn -

YES! We would love it if you would "jump in!" Please visit this link and post your name and city so we can keep track of all the locations. I will also be in constant communication with the coordinators to provide support, direction, and help for the event.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7377

Thank you!

Jaime Nolan
Administrative Director

DH Joe
Parents of Grace Ann
2/22/04-3/2/04 (born @ 27 weeks severe Pre E)

Dawn D

Postby Dawn D » Mon Feb 07, 2005 02:33 pm

So proud to read of this idea. I would LOVE to help organize such an event. I currently live in Wisconsin and we will be moving home to Pennsylvania soon (where my husband and I have lived all our lives and where dd was born).
I have organized many large events in the past and would like to help with this event. I have great "contacts" for doing this in PA (where there are regularly hosted walk-a-thons and races)...can I jump right in and begin following your planning outline to get "permission" from my home town authorities or do I need to start with you???

Dawn
Mya - born 10 weeks premature due to SEVERE PreE , emergency c-section

grace04

Postby grace04 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 07:12 am

Rachel -

We will be sending out a press release for all the locations to use to send to their local media outlets. All information you are looking for should be included in that.

Thank you!

Jaime Nolan
Administrative Director

DH Joe
Parents of Grace Ann

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Wed Feb 02, 2005 06:28 am

Jaime,

This is in regard to Jessica's question concerning public interviews/radio addresses.

quote:
"Are the walk coordinators allowed to give public interviews/radio addresses in regards to the PF or do we need to coordinate this with someone at the national office?

YOUR RESPONSE
quote:
In regard to the public interview/radio addresses, we would only need to be involved if you are planning to represent the Foundation. If someone is sharing a personal testimony or why they are supporting the group, we wouldn't need to be involved.

I feel like we will be representing the Foundation, especially when we begin campaigning for participants and sponsors.

1) Could there be a general statement that could be made to local news media concerning the Walk-a-Thon and its association with the Foundation?

Rachel Adamson

Dylan Samuel 10/04/04 @ 32 weeks(due to severe PE)

grace04

Postby grace04 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 01:03 pm

Hi Jessica,

Lots of great questions! The main thing I want to point out is that for this first year that we do the walk-a-thon, we want to make it as simple as possible. If we are successful this year, then we will expand on it for next year. So, keeping that in mind, here are my answers to your questions:

1. There will be a form letter included with the brochure. We hope to have it out to everyone by Feb. 15.

2. We have not considered national sponsors this year. Most of them will likely shy away from a first-time event. We need to "prove" ourselves first, and then ask next year.

3. Corporate sponsorships are allowed and encouraged. We will deal with them on a case-by-case basis so if your group succeeds in securing a corporate sponsor, call me and let me know so we can determine how to best acknowledge them.

Regarding steps 3&5, I recommend getting an idea of how many people you can get to attend first so that when you begin soliciting for sponsors you can tell them what the expecting attendance will be. Sponsors typically want to know how large of an event it is, etc.

4. Bibs - good idea. If individual locations want to include bibs that is fine. We won't be doing anything nationally for that this year. I agree that if we secure a corporate sponsor we can send them out to each location prior to the event, however, as mentioned earlier, we are not soliciting corporate sponsors for this event yet.

5. If your group wants to be a run/walk that is fine. A run requires quite a bit more prep work that the group would have to coordinate. Again, in an effort to keep it simple, I would not recommend having a timed walk. It is more of a first-time, "get the word out," get some exercise, and raise money type event.

6. There will be a release form included in the registration brochure coming out next month.

7. Yes, there will be a form letter/press release sent out to the locations. In regard to the public interview/radio addresses, we would only need to be involved if you are planning to represent the Foundation. If someone is sharing a personal testimony or why they are supporting the group, we wouldn't need to be involved.

8. Website wasn't discussed. We don't have the funds right now to put money into developing a website for this. If there is a PF member who wants to volunteer their time to create such a website, then that would be great. Yes, members can pay via credit card (Visa or MC).

9. We are still brainstorming on names and planning to have something by mid-February when the brochure is completed. If you have any other ideas, let us know. I will pass DIVAWalk on to the committee as an idea.

Jaime Nolan
Associate Director

DH Joe
Parents of Grace Ann

tafkap

Postby tafkap » Sat Jan 29, 2005 04:44 pm

Sorry, just thought of one more.

8) Web Registration/ Web information: Is there going to be a website where participants can register? Can participants pay for registration via the website (thus enabling acceptance of Visa, Mastercard, etc.)? If not, is there a website with walk information? I know they will look for this on press releases and for corporate sponsorships.

Edited to add:
9) Is there a general name for the event? (such as DIVAWalk 2005 or something along those lines?) If so, will there be a website with that name? (Divawalk.org or .com)

Jessica- Colorado Co-Coordinator
DD Katherine Grace-10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes Preeclampsia at 5,340 feet
www.coreyandjess.info/newsite
Yep, we've got new pictures!

tafkap

Postby tafkap » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:13 am

Hi Jaime-

I just have a few questions... : )

1) Is there a form letter to send to potential sponsors asking for donations?

2) Is there any PF legwork being done to procure National sponsors (Such as Whole Foods, Wild Oats, National hospital chains <such as Baptist, Centura, etc.) or Costco (for Kirkland brand water- this is a Seattle based company, perhaps it is best dealt with by the PF)

3) Are corporate sponsorships encouraged/allowed and what are the rules for this?

Also- RE: Step 3 & 5: I'm wondering if we should gain local sponsors FIRST and let this determine how large the event will be?

Idea: Bibs for the walkers- both front a back. Attach with safety pins (which can be donated by an office supply). Back bib could give walkers the option of walking in rememberance of or in honor of a woman or baby they know that has dealt with Pree or related disease.

4) Bibs for walkers: Are we going to do this on a local or National level? If done on a National level we can have corporate sponsors pay for the printing and then send the appropriate # of bibs to each local race.

5) Does this have to be a walk? Or can we do a run/walk? Is the walk to be timed? If so, is there a protocol in how many stations are generally used at these events?

6) Is there a release form for walkers/runners that we need to have signed?

7) Media/Public relations:
Is there a form letter/press release available that can be edited for our local specifics (location/time)?
Are the walk coordinators allowed to give public interviews/radio addresses in regards to the PF or do we need to coordinate this with someone at the national office?

Think that's "it"... sorry if these have already been addressed.

Thank you!

Jess

Jessica- Colorado Co-Coordinator
DD Katherine Grace-10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes Preeclampsia at 5,340 feet
www.coreyandjess.info/newsite
Yep, we've got new pictures!

grace04

Postby grace04 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 08:00 am

Bonnie - That is a good reminder for me to post a note for our international supporters. For anyone not located in the US, we still encourage you to coordinate a walk-a-thon in your area! Canada, Brussells, Great Britian, London, Australia - wherever you are! It is all about the support and awareness! I will help as much as I can in providing direction.

Thank you!

Jaime Nolan
Associate Director

DH Joe
Parents of Grace Ann

Return to “The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia”